General Care Discussion :: Burnt Turtle? Very Worried!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm   Burnt Turtle? Very Worried!

Hi! I recently got a RES and decided to join the community! :D

His name is Ozone (Ozzy) and he's about 2 inches and we've had him for just about 1 month; his current setup is a 10 gallon with a heater. We give him sun everyday to compensate for a UVB, since it's still shipping over. His diet consists of green leaf lettuce daily with commercial pellets every few days and in moderation some carrots/dried shrimp.

Recently our ceramic heater (50W) arrived and I set it up as a basking spot for him, monitoring the temperature. Initially it was around 40C/104F and noticed he stopped basking altogether, but after research I corrected it to 30-35C/90-95F. Ozzy started to bask a looot more, which was great. However today I noticed his shell looked funny, it seemed much[i][/i] more darker in splotchy patches and when he was in water it looked very shiny/silvery. I immediately turned the basking bulb off and am very scared/feel extremely guilty if I burnt him. :(

Here a few photos (Note: these were taken hours after because I didn't want to touch and hurt him if he was burnt)

IMG_3160.JPG
Shell

IMG_3163.JPG
Underside

IMG_3158.JPG
Burnt neck??
Straw6erry

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 pm   Re: Burnt Turtle? Very Worried!

It's normal and expected for them to become darker/browner as they get older. I'm not sure I see 'burning' or anything very unusual. What dock do you have? What are you using to measure temps?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 pm   Re: Burnt Turtle? Very Worried!

My sister apparently took pictures immediately after he was 'burnt', to me it seems there is a burnt line and dark splotched compared to the photo I attached originally:

IMG_3169.JPG
Shell

IMG_3170.JPG
Blotch on top

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but his shell seemed extremely shiny compared to before when he was in the water

His dock is a penplax we shipped over, we measured the temperature with the thermometer directly atop the basking platform which was measured 33C

IMG_3172.JPG
Basking platform
Straw6erry

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:34 pm   Re: Burnt Turtle? Very Worried!

I don't think there is any burning, at least I still don't see it from the pictures. You also might be feeding him a bit too much from the looks of his shell.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion