General Care Discussion :: Schedule

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:14 pm   Schedule

So here is a question for everyone. What filter cleaning schedule do you follow and why? In the past I cleaned my filter every two weeks then stretched it out to three weeks. After some time I realized that was a waste of time and materials. If your water is clear, the filter flow is good, pH, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia are within normal limits I see no reason to clean the filter.
Thanks
Bearcub

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 pm   Re: Schedule

So much depends... and no matter how clean water may look weekly water changes are still needed with any filter because it could still be toxic. Lets face it for the ones who use carbon as I do and use a cheap carbon. I found the high price carbon in about the same time period still get saturated with the chemicals it removes and releases it back into the tank. Most get saturated in 4-5 weeks and should be changed.
Some use a very small filter's and expect it to perform like a larger one to save money. They wonder why they have to clean it every 3-5 days.
Being able to have and maintain a cycled tank for a filter to do it's job is hard to some. Getting that part down is a great plus !
You and I may have things balanced very well to extend filter maintenance but some beginners are still learning what's truly needed for a happy healthy turtle. There are some who still use a small filter for a baby turtle with a grown one in a 50 gallon tank because it still pumps water , hard to tell them it's inadequate. They will always be cleaning a filter every 2-4 days with large water changes to try and stay ahead of the game. Where a proper size filter could extend that maintenance and you know how we all just love doing maintenance.

Myself only clean my filter once a month but I have 5.28 gallons of media with a 563 gallon flow rate. That alone is 2-4x's larger than some peoples filter's total. I also have a large water volume (125 gallons) that holds a cycle very well..
Some of the ones who use carbon place it on top in filter and change it out once a month not touching the rest of filter. Me if I'm going to open a filter I am going to clean all. Once a month is what works for me with my setup but no matter what I still do weekly water changes sometime it's 10% others time maybe 25%. I have been doing this over five decades and as most long time keepers can tell what's needed just by looking. The key to me in this hobby is prevention. Proper flow , water volume , filter to the size turtle makes it easy. I'm an old man and like it easy now a days.
I have a simple test that can let people know just how well there filter is working if any are interested.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 am   Re: Schedule

I try to do a complete filter cleaning and water change every 4-6 weeks. If time is limited, I'll do a partial water change.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:01 am   Re: Schedule

Steve ever see this test ? Thought one could not make clean water cleaner until I used this test and adjusted.

This Test I found on the internet:
Do this before you do your regular maintenance.
Get two white buckets as tall as your waters depth.
Fill one with your tank water.
The other with clean tap water to same depth.
Whats the difference ?
Are both clear to the white bottom in each bucket ?
If not and you see coloration or dissolved organic matter from your turtles waste in the tank bucket then adjustments need to be made.

Most filter’s come with media for fish // adjust for a turtle with proper size filter. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Then retest and modify as needed until both buckets are the same.
If still not the same may need a larger filter with a large holding area of media may be needed.
Then you will have a proper size filter working efficiently!
Since I used this test all my videos show crystal clear water !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 am   Re: Schedule

I do water changes every week (sometimes every two weeks if I don't have time), and I clean my filter every month.
PokePony

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 pm   Re: Schedule

I have not seen that test before. Honestly, I'm all for keeping it simple and I don't test the water unless I feel something is very off. If things are going smoothly, I might wait a bit before a cleaning or change. If things are messy (lots of loose poop), then I'll go ahead to change sooner.

When I do change my tank and filters, I will reevaluate how I'm conducting business.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:35 pm   Re: Schedule

You may be shocked with the results as I was. Sure you could do it on a simplified scale for a quickie test. White shows results better and to the same waters depth. I was amazed by just adjusting a little how it affected the results.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion