General Care Discussion :: Turtle Aggression or something else?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:42 am   Turtle Aggression or something else?

Hi! I need a little help.
I have two turtles. I've had one for about a year and half and the other for about a year. I live in a place where people aren't that aware about turtles and vets for reptiles are really hard to find hence I'm turning to this forum for advice. So the older one is about 4 inches and the younger one is about 2.5 inches. They've been living together comfortably since past 1 year. I've had no problems till now. They seemed to get along just fine, the older one (tutu) lets the younger one (toto) sit on him while he is basking (even though there is plenty of space around in the basking place), play around with him. So usually I feed them in a different tank to keep their permanent tank cleaner as toto lost his leg and a bit of his tail due to unknown reasons about 6-7 months ago. I took him to the closest vet and he gave a few medicines to keep the wound clean and it healed perfectly and since then I have been very particular about their hygiene and hence the separate tank for feeding. Getting back to the topic, today while I was feeding them tutu went right in front of toto's face and started shaking his claws, this went on for a little while. I found it weird so decided to keep an eye, and literally 2 mins later he put whole of his head inside his mouth!!! I got really scared and somehow got toto out and kept them in separate container but now they're so restless. They're just trying to see each other because whenever I get toto near tutu's container he literally tries everything in his power to jump out the tank. My mother is saying I'm overreacting and they were probably playing or something but I cannot let them near each other until I know for sure that they won't harm each other.
I would be really grateful if someone could tell me exactly what is happening? Should I keep them together? Will they harm each other?
Also do you think poor toto's older injuries were caused by tutu? Because in past I have never seen this kind of behavior. At all. Thank you so much in advance for helping me! :D
adi

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:44 am   Re: Turtle Aggression or something else?

This is called fluttering, and it's used as warnings or in courtship. Either way, I would separate them. Tutu is at a size strong enough to cause severe injury or worse. As for those old injuries... it's certainly possible, and likely if it happened suddenly.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion