General Care Discussion :: Basking tank topper

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 pm   Basking tank topper

I've noticed that my RES will sometimes go up and down the basking platform a few times say like in a hour maybe like 4-5 times.. wont stay up that long then slides down..

On the days that she does stay up long it might be a few hours.. I caught her once sleep but she quickly woke up.

I was just wondering if anyone who has this type of tank topper have seen the same behavior?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

I don't have a topper, but my RES do something similar. RES also have an internal clock, they'll figure out feeding times and come down waiting to be fed. Pretty remarkable :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 am   Re: Basking tank topper

Mine went crazy yesterday when I gave her carrots lol
MikeCL

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 am   Re: Basking tank topper

Yea, my female RES gets really hyped when she thinks she'll get something to eat. She starts splashing water all over the place and gives me a death stare :D
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

crazy since I have been back from vacation sure she was scared of me at first darting away as soon as I came to the tank but now she lets me rub the top of her head now without going back into her shell like before the vacation.

I still think it's pretty cute she will climb up into the basking area to look at me then go back down into the water again.. she will do this a few times if I'm sitting in the area
MikeCL

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:51 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

It's nice when they get used to you... though they still get skittish sometimes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:24 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

I’m wondering when I move up to the 75g I’m going to have to do a custom basking area?
MikeCL

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:21 am   Re: Basking tank topper

It's not a big deal really. There are lots of options and the simple ones looks pretty good. What basking area do you have now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 am   Re: Basking tank topper

Pen plax topper
MikeCL

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:45 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

There are some ways to modify it to work with a larger tank, though it might soon be too small and you'd want a different design. There are also different options depending on how much water you will have in the tank. If you have a full tank, you can build a simple structure that sits on the tank rim.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:03 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

Question about this tank topper again it seems like she has a hard time going up the ramp sometimes most of the time she is just in the water but at least twice I caught her sleeping in the topper but that's only because I was at my computer and the screen faces the tank so it kept her up.. However on a normal time she wont spend hours like how other people have said their RES stays in the basking platform.. My water temp is 78F Is the water temp too high? I don't have a adjustable thermostat for it.
MikeCL

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

May have to modify the ramp to help make it easy . Use some cork sheeting maybe for a better grip ?

What's the basking temp. Most keep it 10* above the water temp , so water is your 78* then basking area 88* so to entice her to bask.

What's being used to read the temps ? Is it still accurate ? I like the "IR" type very accurate !

Water temp is ok , with some old adults they can do 75* well but not babies or juvnilles they like 78* - 80*.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:31 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

I'm using a digital probe in the water type the basking temp I dont have the IR reader with me right now.
MikeCL

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 am   Re: Basking tank topper

Do you have a picture of how it's set up?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:07 pm   Re: Basking tank topper

Sorry to get back so late expecting my first child very soon so trying to get everything setup but a picture of the tank topper or something else?
MikeCL

Next

Return to General Care Discussion