General Care Discussion :: Turtle Shell Bumps?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:45 pm   Turtle Shell Bumps?

Hey everyone!
So I’ve had my RES for 3 years now. Was given to me by a former coworker. He (til this day don’t know the sex) was about 3” when I got him. Now he’s about 5”. I’ve previously had him in a 20 gallon tank. When I was cleaning his tank in February he had escaped from the box I put him in while cleaning. I was cleaning the tank outside & he was no where to be found. 6 weeks later my father was cleaning out the leaves in our garden & FOUND HIM! Burrowed in the dirt. He was still alive & aggressively trying to attack my father when he was picked up lol so since then we’ve gotten him a new 40 gallon tank & he’s living the life now! Lately I’ve been observing him more than usual since his 6 week vacation I’m not sure what he was eating or if he got any diseases from now having the uvb light etc & im noticing 2 lumps on his shell. Is this something I should bring to the attention of a vet? Or is this just normal shell growth? This is my first reptile & I know nothing about turtles except how to keep their tank clean & feed them properly!
In the pictures I’ve attacked you can see the raised areas in the circled part of the image.
Attachments
209029B1-5152-459B-92A6-AD91FDA312BE.jpeg
66B31269-70AA-4D94-973B-FE817F938315.jpeg
FCAF7B60-19BF-43D5-ABAB-D0EC7F2C8379.jpeg
Nichellmarie

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Bumps?

Looks like a little pyramiding, usually caused by an inadequate/infrequent diet and/or lack of calcium/UVB. I would also remove any of the smaller rocks, especially the ones smaller than his head.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 pm   Re: Turtle Shell Bumps?

Ok & now that he’s finally back in his proper home & has the proper lighting will that pyramiding go away? Or is that something I need to get a vet to take care of? & why remove rocks smaller than his head? I’ve never heard of such thing. Is it a health hazard?
Nichellmarie

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:24 am   Re: Turtle Shell Bumps?

Smaller instances of pyramiding gets better after each shed, but it can be a long process. Many RES will eat smaller rocks and gravel, so it poses a problem called impaction.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion