General Care Discussion :: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 pm   Recently lethargic and strange behavior

I've had my RES for over 10 years now.

He's in a 55 gallon aquarium with a fluval FX5 to filter it, the aquarium is generally 77 degrees, he has a turtle topper basking area with a Fluorescent bulb and a mercury vapor bulb, and I feed him the jello shots from this site and occasionally I throw him a few more pellets. He also shares the aquarium with 3 Black Neon Tetras.

He's always been super active, basking all day and even sleeping on his dock he eats like crazy and chases the fish periodically. Seemingly pretty healthy. In the last week though he's become pretty lethargic, just hanging out on the shelf near the water's surface not swimming or basking. He used to chase my finger around and chomp at the glass, but he doesn't do that anymore either. He's still been eating pretty well, but I'm kinda nervous. He would always jump into the water when I got home from work to beg, but now he just sits on his shelf and watches me. I added some water today and he did come to investigate the water addition, which he usually does. But now he's sleeping on the dock with just his head in the water which he's NEVER done... Do you think I need to visit a vet or wait a couple days and see if anything changes?

As far as recent changes to the setup go I had the water temp up to 80 to kill ich that the fish developed and I adjusted the water temp back down maybe 3 weeks ago. I've switched to a new batch of jello shots after running out of my initial batch, is it possible they went bad in the freezer or something? And last it's gotten pretty hot where I live low to mid 90's, maybe he's just hot so he's staying in the water more? That also kind of explains the head dunk thing. And the last change I made is I just switched the fluorescent bulb to from 100w to 60w and I turned off the mercury bulb to see if heat was the issue. And again he's now basking...
Kahhhhyle

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:05 am   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

It's good that he's still eating. How old is he? How long has he been like this? Did you give him a look over (for any discolorations/physical changes)? Did you use any medication with the ich?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

steve wrote:It's good that he's still eating. How old is he? How long has he been like this? Did you give him a look over (for any discolorations/physical changes)? Did you use any medication with the ich?

I don't know his actual age. For one I can't remember when I got him lol but for another I don't know how old he was when he got him. At least 15. The only physical problem is his shell is shaded white, but that isn't a change. And I didn't use any ich medicine. Everywhere I read said it was bad for turtles
Kahhhhyle

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 pm   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

Got home today and he seems to be back to normal. The ambient temperature is back to 70-80. So I really think he might have just been hot, but he basked a bunch today, he was active and swam around, I'll keep monitoring him and probably just run him to a vet if it comes up again, but I think he's ok
Kahhhhyle

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 am   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

The white shell might be some melanism change or fungus growth. Glad to know he's back to normal. It's not unusual for them to break from routine once in awhile. Do you have a vet you go to already?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:08 pm   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

steve wrote:The white shell might be some melanism change or fungus growth. Glad to know he's back to normal. It's not unusual for them to break from routine once in awhile. Do you have a vet you go to already?

I don't. I'd have to call around to try and find one who knows about turtles, because they aren't common pets where I live
Kahhhhyle

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:08 pm   Re: Recently lethargic and strange behavior

Here are some tips that might be helpful:

http://www.redearslider.com/choose_vet.html
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion