General Care Discussion :: Is my red earred slider healthy?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:54 pm   Is my red earred slider healthy?

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a red earred slider who is about 5 years old named Chester. I call it a boy but I really have no clue. My husband said that it was getting too fat, so I had to adjust his feeding. I am currently only feeding him pellets. I have tried some fruits and veggies instead but he just let's them float around. The only thing that he has actually liked is raspberries. Anyways, I am worried that he is pyramiding. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_20180608_131011569~5.jpg
IMG_20180608_130954531~2.jpg
Jaydee84

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:44 am   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

How big is Chester? Looks more female from the picture. The shell doesn't look too bad, but from the pics there are some problem areas that need investigating. As for veggies, try using a veggie clip and withhold the pellets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

I measured his shell today and it is 6.5 inches long.
Jaydee84

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 am   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

My turtle (hatchling, but it might work for yours as well) only started eating leaves after I rubbed them with pellets a few times. I also had to leave the leaves for 2-3 days in the beginning before he would eat them. My guess is they would soften by then. I did take them out here and there to check they still looked fresh, which they did. Now he munches them so quickly I have to change them every day. Also, collard greens seems to be a big favorite of his.
JDora

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 am   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

Hi... well I was reading a lot about turtles, I believe I hve a baby turtle, so one of the question is how will I know how old is my baby. Something else... I was reading about swallen eyes with turtles but I'm probably paranoied now but anyway I attached pics of my baby Korni turtle so can someone tell me is everything okay with him/her? I wanna make him healthy and happy, sooo I need to know if everything is okay with his eyes and does my baby looks healthy to you? Thank youuuu

P.S. pictures were taKEN while Korni was eating, thats when he's most active of course :D
Attachments
C0449B90-11DC-4CA8-897B-DFB21BE33B2F.jpeg
C0449B90-11DC-4CA8-897B-DFB21BE33B2F.jpeg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
Korni88

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:00 am   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

Your turtle is probably around 6-9 months but there is no really way to tell without more information. The eyelids are a bit sensitive, make sure you dechlorinate the water if its an issue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:03 am   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

Thank you Steve. I'm buying gallons of water, for drinking, I believe it's not chlorinated. We drink water from faucet, cause our water in Bosnia is absolutely safe, but for chlorine reasons, I began to buy bottled water for my turtle. What else can I do? I'm cleaning tank water two times a day. Do I need to keep turtle out of water for a few days to make sure her eyes will be fine?
Korni88

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 pm   Re: Is my red earred slider healthy?

You don't need to buy bottled water, eventually you will want to have a filter that you can customize the media for, in this case you will want activated carbon. Chlorine will dissipate after about 24 hours, so no need to take your turtle out. You will want to not overhandle a hatchling turtle.

How big is his enclosure now?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion