General Care Discussion :: new turtle help?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 pm   new turtle help?

posted here and in the welcome forum because i feel like ill get more views and replies here

im reasonably certain that in the near future ill be taking in a red eared slider that's been through consecutive Not Great situations - first, at a school where it was apparently left to die by teachers and students over a break, and then in the home of its well meaning rescuer.

im not sure of the sex of the turtle currently, or its overall health. the setup it has right now isnt great, but also not the worst. it has plenty of hides and a place to bask but the water is shallow and i think its being fed a diet consisting solely of pellets.

the tank size isnt bad. from my guesstimation, it's probably 50 or so gallons. in the future im going to attempt to upgrade it.

when i get the turtle, itll come with everything it has now - tank, filter, heater, hides, lamp, food, ramp, and of course the turtle. im planning on buying several thermometers to make sure his setup stays at okay temperatures.

i also keep fish and so have some prior knowledge on aquatics and also the supplies to treat the water, but have never kept a reptile before.

now that the background info is out of the way, i have some questions. ive been doing research for a while now but am still fuzzy on some things.

1.would unfertilized organic potting soil make an okay substrate?
2.what's the best diet to feed him, and on what days should i feed what?
3.whats the best bulb to put into his basking lamp?
4.can i take him outdoors to bask for a few hours each day? if i did that and let him wander around in the ditch behind my home (which is full of frogs and newts and tadpoles and also sometimes box turtles) would he be okay? i also have a large kiddy pool full of tadpoles i could probably place him in and just let him do his thing until it was time to go in but i dont want to cause him any stress
5.can i feed him tadpoles? because i have 2 pools full.
6.would it need a basking place that was kept cool to help regulate temperature?

also, since i live in a place where the turtles have a natural population and he was most likely wild caught, could i not just keep him in an outdoor setup (the setup would be filtered and kept clean, ofc) and leave it at that or put him in a friend's pond? after he was back to full health, of course, and i or my friend would still be feeding him.

i probably have more questions but i think for now this should be it. thank you!
binji

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 am   Re: new turtle help?

Hi Binji, welcome to the forum!

How big is the turtle now? Quick way to figure out tank size (in inches) L x W x H, then divide by 231.

Lots of the stuff that comes with tanks are useless, so you might have to spend a bit more.. especially on the filter. For thermometers, get a simple LCD sticker strip ($2) and an infrared temp gun (about $12).

For your other Qs

1 - no... you can keep it bare. A step up would be some river rock (as big or bigger than his head), or sand.
2 - tricky question. You can feed everyday, just balance out the amount. Usually 1/3 head size of pellets plus some leafy greens, but other fruits and veggies can be used for variety and treats.
3 - a mercury vapor bulb (from reptileUV). They are more expensive and you need a really good fixture but they provide superior heat and UVB. You can set it down to a incandescent or halogen basking bulk and a compact fluorescent UVB lamp.
4 - yes, some outdoor time is great but no to the ditch. Turtles are faster than you think (on land and water), dig very well and blend in very well. They might also exchange disease in that kind of environment. Plan out the outdoor time... once or twice a week and supervised.
5 - I haven't tried, but I suppose the smaller ones are fine
6 - no, but make sure the one you have is big enough so he can move away from the hottest point.

Outdoor setups are fine but most need a bit of work to get going. They need similar protections/barriers but certainly doable.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:20 pm   Re: new turtle help?

steve wrote:Hi Binji, welcome to the forum!

How big is the turtle now? Quick way to figure out tank size (in inches) L x W x H, then divide by 231.

Lots of the stuff that comes with tanks are useless, so you might have to spend a bit more.. especially on the filter. For thermometers, get a simple LCD sticker strip ($2) and an infrared temp gun (about $12).

For your other Qs

1 - no... you can keep it bare. A step up would be some river rock (as big or bigger than his head), or sand.
2 - tricky question. You can feed everyday, just balance out the amount. Usually 1/3 head size of pellets plus some leafy greens, but other fruits and veggies can be used for variety and treats.
3 - a mercury vapor bulb (from reptileUV). They are more expensive and you need a really good fixture but they provide superior heat and UVB. You can set it down to a incandescent or halogen basking bulk and a compact fluorescent UVB lamp.
4 - yes, some outdoor time is great but no to the ditch. Turtles are faster than you think (on land and water), dig very well and blend in very well. They might also exchange disease in that kind of environment. Plan out the outdoor time... once or twice a week and supervised.
5 - I haven't tried, but I suppose the smaller ones are fine
6 - no, but make sure the one you have is big enough so he can move away from the hottest point.

Outdoor setups are fine but most need a bit of work to get going. They need similar protections/barriers but certainly doable.

thank you! i thought i might need to replace the filter and heater and honestly planned on it, but it might take some time. i really dont know how big the turtle is; i only saw him once but i think its a male based on the size. hes a bit smaller. im also going to measure the tank the next time i see him, but hes currently at a relative's a long drive away and we're not really in contact.

i also have some more questions, if that's all right?

he already has a lamp so replacing the bulb should be simple enough. will the bulb you recommended provide him everything he needs in terms of heat and uva/uvb?

do you have any recommendations for good pellets?

he's definitely going to be supervised during outside time; i have no qualms with sitting out there with him at all. would treating the water in the kiddy pool and putting down a ramp so he can get in out do well? or just attaching a basking dock to the side?

also, the trip to bring him back is going to be at least a 3 hour drive. any tips for transporting him comfortably?
binji

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 pm   Re: new turtle help?

Please feel free to ask questions.

A mercury vapor bulb will provide heat/uva/uvb... those are the only bulbs that can do it but they are not the cheapest route. They usually have coupons on their website too. You need to make sure you have the right fixture for it, and you will want to make sure your equipment is plugged into a GFCI outlet.

For pellets: 1 - Omega One (Petco, Amazon) 2 - Mazuri Turtle Diet (I've only see it on their website) 3 - Reptomin (most pet stores)

For outside time, you still will want a simple barrier. It just makes it so much easier to manage. If you are using a pool, I don't think you need to treat it at all. For a basking area, you might have to have something in the middle.

Transporting him... there are some tips here: http://www.redearslider.com/transportation.html

Pretty much use a cardboard box lines with paper towels. I don't think you need to rehydrate or feed for a 3 hour drive. If you can get it pitch dark where he is kept, he might sleep through the trip.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 pm   Re: new turtle help?

ty! one last question, i think - is there any alternative to a GFCI? im not sure i could have one installed
binji

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am   Re: new turtle help?

There really isn't an alternative to it but it shouldn't be against any rules to have one installed. They do sell them as adaptors, the main downside is they get triggered with power outages, so it needs to be reset manually.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:42 pm   Re: new turtle help?

one more question that just occurred to me - the lamp he currently has is 90 watts so what would happen in a 100 watt bulb was put in it
binji

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 pm   Re: new turtle help?

You need to check the fixture, it will say the maximum wattage that should be used. It will likely have a ceramic base to handle the heat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm   Re: new turtle help?

is there a specific type of lamp i should be looking into? do the make lamps just for this purpose or would using an especially beefy desk lamp do the job
because i know the bulb im going to get and it's a 100 watt mercury vapor one i just. have no clue what to put it in
binji

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:19 pm   Re: new turtle help?

i have more questions because im bad at math and im honestly hitting a dead end with a lot of these google searches oops
im really sorry if these are annoying or seem stupid

1. to act as a screen to keep my lamp from falling into the water, can hardware cloth be used or would a window screen or something like that work better?

2. are HOB filters suitable for turtle tanks? i know it has to be pretty powerful but i dont think ill be able to set up a sump

3. how big should a water change be? would a 25% or 50% water change once a week be suitable, and are turtles vulnerable to sudden shifts in water temperature the same way fish are?

4. i am. so bad at math. how far away should this bulb be from the basking area? and whats the best fixture to use for it and the best way to rig it above the tank?

5. what's the best way to diy a good basking setup when you're a minor, have no money, and your parents arent 100% on board with the whole turtle idea. i make my money solely through commissions and have a good amount saved up now, but commissions are spotty and i dont want to ask for help unless it's 100% necessary and my mom already seems mad because she's going to have to buy vegetables for him (also if you want to buy an art commission hmu, but i mostly do character work)

on a lighter note, ive decided im going to name him trumpet! it keeps in line with the instrument themed names i set with my betta, guitar :D
binji

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 pm   Re: new turtle help?

Something like this: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_dome.php

I'm not 100% sure of the sizes, but it should be similar to it. For your other questions:

Yes, you can use hardware cloth or chicken wire.

HOBs are OK... we don't recommend sumps. A canister filter is usually the best option.

There are no hard rules about water changes, but partial changes every few weeks are idea. The more water you have and the better filter will require fewer water changes.

The recommended distance for the bulb will be included with the products, though I would guess about 18".

Basking setup isn't too bad, a simple one out of PVC/tile will last forever. Also keep an eye out on craigslist for tanks/filters. The name sounds good :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:10 pm   Re: new turtle help?

ty! your answers allowed me to do some more in-depth googling, and im probably going to set him up with a mega-ray bulb and a fluker's sun dome because those run a bit cheaper and are known to work with the mega-ray

and ive been stalking the facebook marketplace for tanks lately because some cheap ones show up there quite often lmao i honestly didnt even think abt craigslist..

thank you so much for all the advice! this is my first time ever keeping a reptile and im just a little (a lot) stressed out about it because i really do want to give this turtle the best life possibe, so it's very, very much appreciated!
binji

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:45 am   Re: new turtle help?

Glad to help! Keeping a turtle requires the same commitment as a dog or cat, and it's awesome you're doing the work on your end.

It's tricky working with a limited budget. Though it's usually a good idea to get everything setup before you get a turtle, it sound like you might be better off waiting a bit until you know gender and size. In the meanwhile, you can look at locations for the best place for a tank, etc. Also, the reptile UV (mega-ray) facebook page usually has a coupon, and you will purchase direct from the manufacturer.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:25 am   Re: new turtle help?

thank you! i asked his current owner to measure him and his SCL is 8 in so im fairly certain he's male, and the tank he comes with is a 50 gallon so i might wait a while to replace it.

he mostly comes with everything he needs, so once i get him im going to work out what needs replaced and buy it all then. the coupon thing is also very helpful, thank you!
binji

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 pm   Re: new turtle help?

If it's 8in, it will likely be female. Male RES don't often get that big. I think your plan is good... I would just read up on their diet and get some Omega One.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Care Discussion