General Care Discussion :: turtle fell out of tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm   turtle fell out of tank

i dont know where to post this but im not home and my sister is supposed to be watching my animals and when she got there he wasnt in his tank, which means he climbed out and then fell off a tank thats on a dresser. she says hes fine and she put him back in his tank and i cant go home. what should i do? she wont take him to the vet if i ask so what do i do?
binji

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

she also says he ate and has no cracks in his shell but idk how well i trust anything she says
binji

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

Usually a visual inspection is good enough, but it would be better if you or someone familiar with RES were to do it. How long until you're home?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:05 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

i should be home monday
binji

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:48 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

He should be fine until then. Safe travels!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:15 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

thank you!
binji

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:59 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

he did it again! i covered it with a metal grate and weighed it down with rocks but he pushed it out of the way.

i found him and put him back in the water and he seems fine and is acting normally, but he keeps coughing up something gooey and red. im not sure if it's blood and at first i thought he just ate a bit of red paint (its craft paint and i think its nontoxic) because theres some on my floor but im not so sure now. what should i do?
binji

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:03 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

he hasnt coughed up very much and what he has ive been scooping out of the water with a net. it has a jelly-like consistency and is only coming fro his mouth.
binji

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:53 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

he hasnt thrown up for at least an hour now so i think he may have just eaten smth weird (theres also red pencil lead on my floor and possibly twizzlers?) and is ok now but should i still be concerned?

also, im definitely going to start taking him out of his tank to let him explore a lot more often now and im hoping that will make him stop trying to escape
binji

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:34 am   Re: turtle fell out of tank

You need to find something else to secure the top, maybe add something smooth to prevent any leverage. As for the gooey stuff, is it possible he cut the inside of his mouth?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:36 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

i put a bigger rock on top for rn but im going to try to make/buy a basking box that can set on the top of the tank.

and thats possible. hes eating fine today and hasnt thrown up again. im going to schedule an appointment for him soon because he needs a checkup anyway
binji

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:42 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

Ok, hope it turns out to be nothing. What does his tank look like?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:33 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

his tank is more baren than id like it to be,, right now it's mostly bare bottom with a couple of rocks and a half log hide, plus his basking dock which is just one of the ones that suction cups to the side of the tank. he also has 3 filters running atm because the tank came with 2 small tetra whisper internal power filters that had cycled media so im keeping them in until the media in the new, big filter is also cycled

ill send pics in a bit
binji

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 pm   Re: turtle fell out of tank

forgot to add that he also has some fake plants that used to be in my betta tank

these images are way too large when i embed them but here they all are on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/vQJKSPA
binji

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:07 am   Re: turtle fell out of tank

My tanks are pretty bare too, nothing wrong with that :)

I would pick up better thermometers than those ones with probes... they're very inconsistent. As for the screen, you might want to consider a different one, I think someone has used wire shelving and it looked pretty nice.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Care Discussion