General Care Discussion :: Inexperienced RES momma

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:43 pm   Inexperienced RES momma

About 2 1/2 years ago, my sister gave me a baby Red Eared Slider when she moved. I've never taken care of a turtle and it seems well until recently. I've thought these bumps in the road were normal, but may not be. I've listed some issues, I'd like to confirm are normal or abnormal. If abnormal, is there anything I can do?

[list=]When I clean her tank and put her in a different one, she squirms and freaks out and thrashes in the water, the whole time (even with a platform to go on). This has been since I got her.

Recently, she opens her mouth when I move her (very rarely do I pick her up, it's usually to clean her tank or show her her food is served). I think she's hissed quietly, too. And today, blew bubbles when I picked her up. This started a few weeks ago.

She tries her fruit&veg (carrots (shredded and/or steamed), mashed banana, lettuce) but then spits it back out. She refuses to eat anything but shrimp, mealworm and Reptomin. I've read this is bad but don't want to starve her.

She recently shed but still has areas of silver on her shell. Is that bad? She's shed once before. Is that too often? I believe it was a little less than a year ago.

She basks more now. Could that be due to her newer, bigger pier? Or something else?

She often swims at her glass and used to climb it from her rock, almost like she's trying to escape. I've come to think it means she's hungry. Am I right? Or is something wrong?

She also does hibernate. Usually from Nov. to Feb.. Is that okay? Is it healthy?

I keep her tank at 50% water (I'm scared she'll climb out.)

I keep it at 76°-80° in the water.

The UV lamp is directly over the basking area. (I have a pier that is suctioned and can float with a rising water level. I put a moss carpet on it for her. She hated the plastic.)

I wash her tank when the water begins to yellow. She usually clouds it in the first few days, but it mostly clears. Usually, I clean it every two weeks. I have one filter, though I think I need a larger one. My tank is 55 gallon and I have a filter for medium tank.

She sleeps when I turn the lights off, usually by her heater in the water. Or she naps under her light.

She's the first pet that I've taken care of all by myself and I don't wish to lose her. She's a sweet turtle. Her name is Franklin.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! :msgreen: [/list]
kenz

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm   Re: Inexperienced RES momma

When I clean her tank and put her in a different one, she squirms and freaks out and thrashes in the water, the whole time (even with a platform to go on). This has been since I got her.
I'd consider that normal, especially if it's smaller than her tank.

Recently, she opens her mouth when I move her (very rarely do I pick her up, it's usually to clean her tank or show her her food is served). I think she's hissed quietly, too. And today, blew bubbles when I picked her up. This started a few weeks ago.
mouth open/hissing is normal, though shouldn't happen often as she becomes familiar with you. bubbles is not normal, is it out of her mouth?

She tries her fruit&veg (carrots (shredded and/or steamed), mashed banana, lettuce) but then spits it back out. She refuses to eat anything but shrimp, mealworm and Reptomin. I've read this is bad but don't want to starve her.
you need to be a bit tougher... many of us use red leaf/green leaf/romaine as a staple

She recently shed but still has areas of silver on her shell. Is that bad? She's shed once before. Is that too often? I believe it was a little less than a year ago.
shedding should be a regular occurrence. thin and translucent sheds are normal and healthy.

She basks more now. Could that be due to her newer, bigger pier? Or something else?
yes, plus she's more comfortable with her home. a very good sign.

She often swims at her glass and used to climb it from her rock, almost like she's trying to escape. I've come to think it means she's hungry. Am I right? Or is something wrong?
likely she's begging for food, females sometimes act like that when they are gravid.

She also does hibernate. Usually from Nov. to Feb.. Is that okay? Is it healthy?
it really depends on how its done. most of us keep our turtles indoors and avoid hibernation (brumation)

I keep her tank at 50% water (I'm scared she'll climb out.)
you can get or make a screen for her. how big is the turtle?

I keep it at 76°-80° in the water.
78 is a sweet spot, older turtles can deal with cooler temps.

The UV lamp is directly over the basking area. (I have a pier that is suctioned and can float with a rising water level. I put a moss carpet on it for her. She hated the plastic.)
that's the best place for it

I wash her tank when the water begins to yellow. She usually clouds it in the first few days, but it mostly clears. Usually, I clean it every two weeks. I have one filter, though I think I need a larger one. My tank is 55 gallon and I have a filter for medium tank.
you are in the market for a canister filter

She sleeps when I turn the lights off, usually by her heater in the water. Or she naps under her light.
normal

She's the first pet that I've taken care of all by myself and I don't wish to lose her. She's a sweet turtle. Her name is Franklin.
Welcome to the forum Franklin and Kenz!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion