General Care Discussion :: Yes I am that idiot!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:54 pm   Yes I am that idiot!

Ok so my kids went to fair and came home with 2 goldfish and a very small and yes illegal sized red ear slider! The goldfish were easy I set them up in my 36g quarantine tank. The RES is definitely more worrying. he spent the first day in the stupid little 1 gallon critter cage. That I kept warm with a heating pad under it on low, while getting some things cleaned up/purchased and and ready for his temporary home.
Keep in mind I have been keeping fish for years and I have only fish stuff in my house. So after doing some reading I set him up as best I could until I can either order stuff in or get to the nearest pet store that is over an hour away and with 5 young and very busy kids that is usually only once a month.
So my very basic set up right now and I know I don't have everything yet but the little guy is in a 25g plastic bin (I read that something with solid color sides was less stressful than glass) filled to about 10in deep a hang on back filter rated to 40 gallons, with cycled filter material, a heater that I don't remember the wattage on, but is rated for a 55g. It's what I have in the house. I tossed in a crap tun of water wisteria Which he seems to love floating on. I built up a few bricks and smooth rocks and so he can get out of the water.
So I guess my question is will he be okay until I can get him the rest of what he needs later this week. What kind of food would be best to order. And the lighting I am so confused on. I know he needs the UV lighting but I keep seeing people talk about percentages of UVB so how do I know whats the right one for a tiny turtle? Remember I know basically nothing about turtles past when cared for properly they can live a long, long time and that I have just taken on a major responsibility! Any help you can give would be great! I really wanna do this right.
Flitabout

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 pm   Re: Yes I am that idiot!

If he's warm and eating, then yes you have a bit of time. Have you seen him eat? That would be your priority. I would also keep the kids away as he really needs time to adjust to everything.

As for bulbs, I think 5.0 or 'tropical' ones should be OK.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:32 pm   Re: Yes I am that idiot!

He is I haven't seen him eat yet but we have been trying out best not to stress him out and he gets scared every we hang out over the bin but the pellets do seem to be disappearing. He doesn't seem interested in the lettuce but I'll keep trying!
Flitabout

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm   Re: Yes I am that idiot!

Also his bulbs and new filter and fixtures should be here on Wednesday
Flitabout

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:27 pm   Re: Yes I am that idiot!

Don't be too sure he's eating pellets as they tend do dissolve, crumble up, or get sucked into the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion