General Care Discussion :: Particles remain in tank despite water changes

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:12 pm   Particles remain in tank despite water changes

Is it harmful for there to be a build-up of tiny particles on the bottom of tanks? They just look like small flakes, I'm guessing remnants of food. They seem to settle on the bottom and so they don't get sucked up by the filter unless I'm changing the water, which I do weekly (50% change) - and even then, they settle too fast to be filtered out.

As for my setup, I have a 20 gallon tank for two yearlings with the Finnex PX-360 canister filter. I realize that this filter may be inadequate based on the size of the tank, and the tank itself might be small for them, but I'm just wondering if this is a normal issue even with a bigger tank size and better filtration, or if the tank should typically remain clear of those particles. I suppose feeding them outside is an option but I'd like to avoid that if possible because I have limited space.

On a somewhat related note, how often should I be cleaning/changing my filter?
Mimyr

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 pm   Re: Particles remain in tank despite water changes

Usually it isn't harmful, though maybe you will want to stir it up a little so it circulates to the filter. You might also have to look at how the filter is positioned. It's rated for 25 gallons, so it's a bit weak for turtles. For cleaning the filter, monthly seems like the most frequent choice. Larger filters with larger tanks are cleaned less frequently, but you should always stay on top of partial water changes (every 2 weeks).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 pm   Re: Particles remain in tank despite water changes

As Steve said , bit weak. Being a canister filter try repositioning the outlet , modify the nozzle , be creative with the outlet to get more water movement.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:49 pm   Re: Particles remain in tank despite water changes

OK, thanks all. Yes I have considered water flow. Almost wonder if it'd be useful to just have something in there that pushes water around more than what's done with the filter. Currently the outlet is flowing from above the water and dropping in a bit like a waterfall - maybe I should have it flow directly into the water though.
Mimyr

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:55 pm   Re: Particles remain in tank despite water changes

Do you have an air pump and a air stone . Try small/tiny bubble wand type will give more movement than large bubbles. Turtles often play in the bubbles.
Something like https://www.amazon.com/WINOMO-Aquarium- ... ble+stones

If you only have a few inches of water in tank will be hard for any filter to work well. You could add some water and maybe it will offer more movement. Just make sure you have several resting spots other than the main basking area if needed to rest on.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion