General Care Discussion :: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:14 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

steve wrote:I think you need to feed then a bit less, as the seams between scutes look they're growing too fast. I would also try a different bulb, maybe go with a regular incandescent to see how they bask. Any more info on the UV bulb? Brand, age, etc...

Yeah even my vet told me groot is overweight :\

Im going to start feeding him once in two days from now. I have absolutely no idea bout the UV lamp except that my aquarium guy said this is the best he has, but i'm not sure how good of a turtle keeper he is. He has given questionable advice to me in the past :\

Ordered solar glo Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp to be on the safe side. Might start basking then
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Yes the shield will help on breaks especially when he gets stronger as he grows.

That link is for a 160 watt.... that's large for your small tank today. Please read on box for placement distance for safety. Very important ! Meant for much larger tanks , will be nice for your upgrade coming soon. The 80 watt would to "me" fit the size better and I have over time used an 80 watt in up to 40 gallon tanks . Make sure you read on the box placement distance and monitor it yourself also.

Starting out is the time to do a lot of reading on what Groot and Rocket needs , will make you feel like your are back in school.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

litefoot wrote:Yes the shield will help on breaks especially when he gets stronger as he grows.

That link is for a 160 watt.... that's large for your small tank today. Please read on box for placement distance for safety. Very important ! Meant for much larger tanks , will be nice for your upgrade coming soon. The 80 watt would to "me" fit the size better and I have over time used an 80 watt in up to 40 gallon tanks . Make sure you read on the box placement distance and monitor it yourself also.

Starting out is the time to do a lot of reading on what Groot and Rocket needs , will make you feel like your are back in school.

Only 160 watt is available in my country :/ even my local aquariums dont have it. Ill figure out the placement.
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 pm   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

I wouldn't use a 160 watt either... it would have to be kept pretty far to be acceptable. It could be hot enough to knock those turtles out and heat up that tank to dangerous temperatures.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

steve wrote:I wouldn't use a 160 watt either... it would have to be kept pretty far to be acceptable. It could be hot enough to knock those turtles out and heat up that tank to dangerous temperatures.

Found 80W variant!
Vardaansh1

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:27 am   Re: Red eared slider baby avoids UVB lamp

Glad you found an 80 watt , much safer for your setup and turtle ! These are "specialty bulbs" not regular bulbs and must read the instructions for placement / distance also monitor the temps well !
litefoot

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion