General Care Discussion :: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:39 pm   How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Hello!

I have a 6-7 Y/O Red Eared Slider. I got him from one of those flea markets when he was a baby. He has lived in a tub since I first got him. Recently, I purchased a house and was finally able to get him a larger tank (200 gal). My concern is that I'm introducing him to a large body of water where he has room to actually swim. How should I proceed with introducing him to a large body of water so that he can swim? It may be silly, but I fear that he can drown if he can't swim.

Thank you!!
steeeve90

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 am   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Hello and welcome
They are natural born swimmers , it's built in instinct. He will spend lots of time investigating his new home , turtles are very curious . Make sure you have a proper basking area with the proper lighting too and maybe some resting areas or even floating plants he can just hang on. Just put him in and he will do the rest. Turtles love to swim as much as bask.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 am   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

litefoot wrote:Hello and welcome
They are natural born swimmers , it's built in instinct. He will spend lots of time investigating his new home , turtles are very curious . Make sure you have a proper basking area with the proper lighting too and maybe some resting areas or even floating plants he can just hang on. Just put him in and he will do the rest. Turtles love to swim as much as bask.

Yes, I made a basking area from some guides I have found and bought a basking lamp for him. I also put a couple of big rocks that he can climb/rest on. The water is currently 1.5x the size of his shell, and I'll raise it this weekend. I'll add an update once I do so.
steeeve90

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Sounds like a start. The water make it at least 2.5 - 3x's the shell length . To shallow and if it falls on it's back could drown , deeper will allow him to turn himself over easy and swim around. Turtles love to swim as much as basking !
What filter are you using?
What type basking light , plenty out there say basking light for reptiles but are not adequate for a "turtle" ? You need one that produces UVA ( heat ) and UVB which is a specialty bulb and only a few does both ! Or two separate bulbs one for heat to entice a turtle to get under the specialty UVB bulb.

Yes update and photo's if you can of tank and turtle.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

I'll take some images when I get home from work tonight.

I'm using a cascade 1000, but I am going to upgrade for another one because it's only up to 100G and my tank is about 200G. The lamp I'm using are actually two bulbs -one for UVA and UVB. I thought it was 2x the turtle size. I'll make it more than that if that's the case.
steeeve90

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:14 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Depends on what book you read 1.5 - 2 - 2.5... Myself always setup a 150 gallon almost full even for a baby. Never need any upgrades as it grows , already in it's finnal adult home.

Filters are sold by fish gallons not turtle gallons. Turtles are very messy the better filter you have helps with maintenance ! An under rated filter you will be cleaning it every 5 days .

A baby needs 2x's flow of fish gallons , juvenile's need 3-4x's flow depending on sex , and adults 4-5x's flow depending on sex. Male are about 6-9" so the lower rate and female can get bigger at 10-12" in size so the larger number.

That 200 gallon tank could be a final adult home for a male or female so may want to match a filter when it's full. 4x's would be a flow rate of 800 gph. If you get one with a large media area will help with maintenance. I use the FX6 for my 150 gallon stock tank for my 5" male RES , Piggley ! It's a beast and if setup correct for a turtle you only have to clean it once a month. But you still have to do your water changes weekly or bi weekly and maintain a cycled tank helps !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Do you feed your turtle inside the tank or take him out? I've been taking him out and putting him a smaller tub and let him eat, poo, and do his thing for 30-60 min, then I put him back in his tank.
steeeve90

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

That is better when one has a small tank.
But when you have a large final setup for an adult and able to start a cycled tank and maintain it you don't really have to use a separate feeding tub. A cycled tank will turn solid waste into dissolved waste so your filter pick it up better. A good filter setup and a cycled tank are your best friends !!

PS: with the FX6 since you don't have it full you are able to crank it down to match the amount of water you want. Then as he grows and you add more water or even make a "ATBA" having tank full you just crank it all the way up. Last filter you will ever need !

I also agree that cascade 100 will not cut it , maybe buy you some time until an upgrade.
Then most would send about 160- $200 for a filter that works them to death with maintenance and not happy cleaning it every 7-9 days. Or the FX6 using price trackers and the holiday sales coming up may find one around $270 or under depends on shopping around. Black Fridays sale are the place to look also. And that cleaning once a month is great because of the very large media area ! You know how we all just love doing maintenance !!! Haha I'm doing this hobby 55 years and I still hate cleaning a filter but my Fx6 make's it so very simple !

Even if you got another cascade 1000 two will barely keep 200 gallons water clean for a turtle , think of the future as you guy gets bigger and messier. They just have a very small media area in them. Maintenance will be every week and you will not be happy. Your call on a filter , just think about how often you really want or need to clean one.

Are you sure you have a male ? What's his name ? Piggley say's Hi.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

We just got our first RES a few days ago. The poor thing is about 7" and was kept in a 20g breeder tank, so it never had an opportunity to swim. To get air it simply had to lift its head.

We immediately moved her into a 75g. It took her HOURS to figure out how to get to the surface. She would stand on her hind legs stretching her neck up as high as she could, then she tried climbing up the side of the tank. A few times I lifted her up to the surface, but she would just sink like a rock. Eventually she figured it out and got to the top. However it took several more times before she figured out how to just float.

So apparently for poor turtles who have never been able to swim, there is a learning curve.
revance

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:33 am   Re: How do I introduce a RES to a new tank? Can he swim?

Sorry did not see that you attached this to someone's else's thread. I an old man. Use new topic/ thread button will be able to see it better.

Swimming to a turtle is a natural born instinct. She by not being able to for so long may be just a little weak in her legs. She will do better if more water is offered , also offer her some resting spots. Most when introduced to a new tank are shy and even scared this is normal to hide under water were they feels safe. Give her time to adjust and all will be good. Give her a few plants / decorations to hide behind and she will feel more comfortable helps them adjustment. Adjustment time may take a few weeks so just make it as comfortable as you can for her. Keep the room quiet helps and moving slow around the tank helps also. You are a very big giant to her. Once she see's you as a food source it gets better , she trust you more and adjust sooner.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion