General Care Discussion :: Turtle shell condition.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

In terms of potatoes I mean dried potatoes for tortoises (in came with him when I got him) and for the tank I am planning on getting a 90 gallon tank soon, once I have some more money. For the UVB bulb it from zoo med. Rocky's basking "rock" is a little more than a foot and to measure the temperature I have a stick on one on the tank for the water and I do not have one for his basking area.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Dried potatoes for a tortoises "no" yours is an aquatic turtles and the requirements are different. Did you look under "nutrition" on this forums main page for ideas on veggies and pellets. To me even good turtle pellets are a little high with the protein side. Several in the 38-40% range. I have changed to Hikari wheat-germ formula its a "KOI" food ( only 32% protein) Koi and goldfish are vegetarians. I found it help's a little more with turtles that need a little help with the shells especially when shedding. There's some documentation on that and my real time use proven to me. These plus a well mixed pellet and veggie's , balanced and nutritious diet goes a long way on his health ! This are things you pick up on in years , even "me " went through a learning curve in the beginning ! I'm an old man , us old timers never had a forum for help , it was all trial and error back then.
The 90 gallon Steve recomenmended is a good size for him better than the 60 gallon you thought earlier. Males normally stay smaller than females but some could get 9" and you still can make the 90 gallon work filled with an "ATBA" if so. That will depend on his "DNA". Look for used may find one $100. Even stock tank that size are cheaper . Thats what I use and I think it look's good. Can do so much more with one than a narrow glass tank ! My Piggley love his !!! Look at Piggley in photo gallery for pic's , may get some ideas too.
Tweaking the UVB , the zoo med is a so so bulb but OK for now // read on the box for placement very important , yours looks too high and not surving much a purpose. Output of useable UVB rays on that UVB is not far. These are a few popular type and the differences // A better UVb bulb goes a very long way to shell health : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=UV ... ORM=VRDGAR
Thermometer you have is inauccurate , I have a draw full of that type even inaccurate digital ones , just look at all the different reads in the store when you look at them. . Infrared type is great ( very accurate) and can be used on everything needing only one. Watch for sale's and use price tracker for better price. Watch Black Friday sales , some prices are good but not all on sale is a real sale.
Basking dock is "ok" for your frist one that 12" may only have one or two different temp ranges on it. A larger one will offer more range of temp so your turtle can pick what it truely needs and when. Also a timer help's keep a schedule well , turtles like schedules ! On 10-12 hrs day ( make's it avaliable when he wants it and or needs it ) and off at night to sleep well , they are just like us. I save all my old stuff I use chop sticks and put two old basking docks together and make my own larger one to save money. Looking at other peoples basking docks may help you being creative and use materials around the house to save money. For $1 a basket from the dollar store can make a large basking area just get creative. Google basking areas and click on images for ideas on how. Also look under basking dock photo's for ideas on this forum. Tweaking things will help your turtle's enviroment inturn helping it to shed better. If diet is corrected has a chance to correct it's shell , tweaking it's home will also help but some conditions are permanent . Will still take time , they normally only shed once a year when "healthy" then some in less health maybe only every 15 months to two years. This type tweaking will help you turtle with all it has gone through with those other people and he will love you more for all in the end showing you all his personality's which is great ! If you picked the turtle or he picked you they are not an easy pet or a cheap one with the initial setup . There were ways to keep cost down and still are ways with doing more homework now , DIY helps , being creative too. Most all beginners do the " learning curve thing".

One big thing that helps "me" is a notebook , have some over 55 years old. I'm an old man and computer's are not my thing ! I kept track of every thing I ever tried and done with turtles. I can go back and see what I have done , the good or bad results and tweak from there. See when say UVB bulbs were bought , filters , parts , changes , type of food used , tank setups … Keeping some notes may help you , your call on that. Sorry for long post , I know you are trying at a young age and min cost , I believe in you , why I try to pass on some proven ideas and insight I used in my time. It's all worth it with turtles they are "Great pet's" especially my Piggley he's my pet , friend and child !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

What uvb light do you use?
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:32 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I use the Mega Ray 100 watt for my setup. Your setup may need the smaller one.

Some say cost too much , sorry they are wrong. A bulb like the one you have the UVB rays only last 6-8 months and at $20 a pop you would need to buy three to equal the life of a self ballasted 100 watt mega ray which normally is 18-24 months. ( yes they still produce light but the special coating on the special quartz glass only last a while ) Mega Rays last the longest and I test with my own UVB meter.

Mega Ray at $47 dollars use coupon code final cost $35 on my last one. Coupon codes always offered ! Compared to three of yours's at $20 if it's a #10.0 , the 5.0's are a few dollars cheaper // total $60. That's overspending , then with your it does "not" produce heat so you need another bulb for the UVA (heat) more cost and even another fixture too for it !!! The Mega Rays produce heat too so I save even more money ! Very big difference with cost [ cheaper] and self ballasted type cheaper on the electric bill too ! Mega Rays are also a "flood" type better for turtles more coverage , Do NOT buy a "spot" light type to little coverage.

Cheapest / best place I buy from : http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php ... x&cPath=65
Last edited by litefoot on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:51 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

If Rocky's UVB lamp would only last 6-8 months it is probably useless since he has probably had that all his life.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:55 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Which one is his uvb. https://imgur.com/a/6qS8Hqv
the one on the right i thouht was his heat lamp and on the left was his uvb light.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:57 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Very true !
Once you in hobby a few year's and can afford a UV meter they are great so you know when one stops producing UVB rays. Buy only when truly need one.

Edit I did was only my spelling of "quartz" boy was it bad.....
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:00 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Which one is his uvb. https://imgur.com/a/6qS8Hqv
the one on the right i thouht was his heat lamp and on the left was his uvb light.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:01 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I can not tell from that picture both produce white light. Most of the zoo med type are a "coil" "tube" type bulb (CFL) and will be much cooler to the touch than what looks like a regular flood type heat bulb.

Oh , both the bulbs need to be over basking area ! The heat one is to entice turtle to get under the UVB !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

i checked and the one on the left is the heat lamp (50watts) and the one on the right is the uvb. The only thing is that it is hard to put the both over the basking area since his uvb is like 2 feet long.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:08 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

So if that bulb is still producing any UVB rays your turtle has "not gotten any with it being over the water !!! UVB rays do not penetrate water or glass.

I'm an old man I type slow...
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:11 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I tried to adjust it so that it is as close to the basking area as possible without moving the heat lam too too much. for the UVB can i use a normal lamp with a uvb light bulb?
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:16 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

That's where planning and studying what you want first before you buy comes in. If it's a UVB bulb that only produces UVB with no heat which I think that's what you got then yes a regular fixture only for that. BUT the heat bulb must have a porcelain socket for safety !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:21 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Ok. Thanks so much for all your help. I will have to wait until christmas to get any of these but I think Rocky will be okay until then. Maybe a bit before that because I am going to apply for a job but either way I will have to wait a while. Thanks again and one last question, are there any health risks associated with retained scutes?
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

No , not from retained scutes. , No more risk than any pet . Salmonella was related to turtles because very young kids were putting them in there mouth so the 4" law. Others animals even dogs produce salmonella , bottom line wash your hands after cleaning it's home or playing with him. Do not clean turtle supplies on the kitchen counter or by food prep tables The normal don'ts.

You got time none of this we talking about has to be done today. Save up , ask for turtle gifts for christmas...or money for him. Use this time to adjust what you can correct now like both bulbs over basking area. Plan well , plan twice so you don't waste money on things that will not help your turtle. Be working on a larger basking area. We'll be here to help.
litefoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion