General Care Discussion :: Are females generally heavier than males?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 am   Are females generally heavier than males?

I have a male and female res, they're of roughly the same age and similar size - both are about 3.5 inches in length. When they were young, they were about the same weight, but since a year ago the female has been consistently slightly heavier than the male. She now weighs 138g, which is 21g more than the male, despite being the similar size! I also realised the lighter male turtle heats up faster during basking.
cheesyturtle

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:53 am   Re: Are females generally heavier than males?

I'm not sure if they will always weigh more at the same size, but I would not be surprised either. My female has always been heavier, but I think that is due to her huge appetite.

You made a great point about a lighter turtle warming up faster, though I'm not sure how much faster or if it will matter to them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:00 pm   Re: Are females generally heavier than males?

As I check online it seems like a female turtle weighs heavier than male considering the fact that male is smaller than female.
BTW, do you think that breed like Alaskan Malamute needs big dog cages?
buenavides1

Return to General Care Discussion