General Care Discussion :: Not sure what to do with our terrapin

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm   Not sure what to do with our terrapin

Old pic before we took her to the vet : https://i.imgur.com/8CLngb5.jpg

So long story short, we got this terrapin (red eared slider) 20+ years ago and have been raising her mostly on land due to bad advice from the pet shop that we got her from. Recently, we took her to the vet because she isn't eating much or pooping much anymore for about two weeks. The vet checked her over, noted that she had a slight respiratory infection, some minor shell rot and prescribed us an anti-bacterial solution and a nutritional supplement which we fed to her with a syringe through her mouth. She also gave us a cleaning solution for her shell which is for the shell rot.

Other than that, she said the terrapin seemed OK and suggested we change her environment to a large water tank (at least 320l, more than 4 times her size) complete with basking dock and UVB light.

We feed her turtle pellets that are described as being enriched with vitamins and calcium twice a day, and the vet told us to just follow the feeding instructions on the package. These are the pellets : https://www.petloverscentre.com/product ... light-140g. We also feed her some dried prawns with the pellets.

I did ask if she had metabolic bone disease or anything like that as some people here said she did, but she said that the only way to check that would be to do a blood test, which would require her to use anaesthesia, and there was a risk that she wouldn't wake up afterwards because of her advanced age (she is more than 20 years old). We didnt want to risk that so we didnt do it. She did say that she didnt think the terrapin was in any pain but there might be some discomfort because of her deformed shell.

Now i'm not sure what to do with her. We have been feeding her the nutritional supplement + anti-bacterial for about a week now, but her appetite hasnt improved althoguh she does eat small amounts each day. I'm not sure if this is a sign of a problem.

I would like to try moving her to a water tank + basking dock + UVB light setup, but i'm not sure how to find a tank that is large enough. She is quite large, I measured her to be 28cm long from head to tail and 18cm wide. The vet advised us to use a water tank that is at least 320L large, i've tried asking pet shops but they don't seem to sell tanks anywhere that large nor are they measured in terms of litres, just the usual length x width x height dimensions. I also have a feeling that it would be quite pricey. The pet shops dont seem comfortable with recommending a size either, they want us to give them the exact dimensions of the tank we want to buy.

I tried putting her in our regular tank with lots of fresh water to see if she would like it, but she just started swimming against the walls repeatedly instead of sitting on the floor of the tank like she usually does. It also seems like she is floating to the top of the water rather than staying at the bottom. I cant tell if she is just exercising or if she doesnt like the large amounts of water because she is not used to it. I'm concerned that if I do get a large tank for her, she wont like the deep water and will just sit on the basking dock or try to escape from the tank because she has spent 20+ years mostly on land and in shallow water.
Question

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:49 pm   Re: Not sure what to do with our terrapin

The instructions on the package is way too vague, and I can't imagine a turtle not overeating that stuff. A turtle does not need anesthesia for a blood test, I've never heard of that. I think my vet took a sample near the tail and mentioned that there were a lot of blood vessels near there.

Is she still eating? How big is her current tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 am   Re: Not sure what to do with our terrapin

Been busy so havent been able to look much into this unfortunately. Surprised this thread only got one reply...is the site not that active? The vet said she would need to give the turtle anesthesia to draw blood from the carotid artery or something like that, because the turtle would move too much. Shes still not eating much, not pooping or peeing much either. She used to pee a lot whenever we picked her up, now she doesnt pee much when we pick her up. The vet doesnt seem to know why, but said shes not sick.

Her current tank is about twice her size I think, but she spends most of her time outside.

She seems very lethargic these days, she often has her eyes closed whether shes soaking in her tank or outside of it. Shes like 23 years old at least and the vet said that shes nearing the end of her lifespan. For the past few days, ive noticed that she seems to blink her eyes a lot for some reason, even when outside the tank. They dont seem swollen, and shes not sneezing or anything that would indicate shes sick. She can still see fine and will explore the house for a while when we take her out of her tank, but she either keeps blinking her eyes every 10 seconds or so, or keeps them closed. My mother thinks that she's just getting old and doesnt think shes sick or anything.

On a side note, we used to have another red eared slider, they were both bought at the same time. The other one passed away quite a while ago. What I dont understand is why the other RES loved basking in the sun while this one seems to hate it and will move away from sunlight after a short while. All the info I can find says turtles love basking, but this one doesnt seem to like it. Why is that? We used to put them side by side in patches of sun and the other one could sit there for hours, this one would just move away after 10-15 mins at most. They were both female.
Question

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:12 am   Re: Not sure what to do with our terrapin

Nevermind, she passed away from injuries sustained during a fall this morning :(
Question

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:17 pm   Re: Not sure what to do with our terrapin

Sorry for your loss. :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion