General Care Discussion :: How high above the floating rock should the basking lamp be?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 am   How high above the floating rock should the basking lamp be?

I just noticed his water was running a little cold so I reset his water heater but I am not sure what hight I should place his 75 Watt basking lamp above his floating rock. Can someone help me?
Kaish_Lothon

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm   Re: How high above the floating rock should the basking lamp

I would start it a foot away, and measure the temps. Move it a little closer if it does not warm up the basking area enough, but at its closest it should away from your turtle's reach and any inadvertent water splashes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 am   Re: How high above the floating rock should the basking lamp

steve wrote:I would start it a foot away, and measure the temps. Move it a little closer if it does not warm up the basking area enough, but at its closest it should away from your turtle's reach and any inadvertent water splashes.

it is far enough away from the water but it says it is splash resistant... (I did break a non-splash resistant one in my tank once and picking out those pieces of glass wasn't fun...)
Kaish_Lothon

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm   Re: How high above the floating rock should the basking lamp

Ideally the lamp fixture can tolerate a splash too, but that's why it's important to plug stuff into a GFCI. An infrared temp gun will be a good way to take quick measurements.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion