General Care Discussion :: Gravid-Under soil 14 hrs!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:31 pm   Gravid-Under soil 14 hrs!

Hi everyone! First time here. My Turtle is Gravid for her first time. i'm certain the eggs are fertilized. Once I realized I made her a nesting spot. She starting digging almost immediately last night and hasn't re-emerged. It has been about 14 hrs now. Should I leave her be or gently remove her? I am concerned she has been buried for too long. Thank you for any help!
lisabell30

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 pm   Re: Gravid-Under soil 14 hrs!

She shouldn't bury herself, but rather use her rear feet to dig a hole, deposit her eggs, and then cover it up. If she buried herself, she might be stressed, too cold or too warm. I would take her out, clean her, and put her back into the tank. When she's exhibiting signs then you can put her in the nest but keep in mind most homemade nests don't work.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:52 pm   Re: Gravid-Under soil 14 hrs!

Thank you for your advice! I ended up calling her vet yesterday and they advised me the same. I took her out, cleaned her then put her in her tank. She seems comfortable now. Her Vet wants to examine her today to make sure shes gravid but i'm afraid the trip would stress her out more. Also the homemade nest is our only option. We do not have a yard or proper outdoor area :(
lisabell30

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 pm   Re: Gravid-Under soil 14 hrs!

Have you tried feeling for them? How big/old is she?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion