General Care Discussion :: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 pm   Copper Power bad for turtle?

Hello all, I have an African Side Neck turtle, about 6-7 inches long. I've had it for 2 years. I would like to know if copper treatments for fish, like Copper Power Green, since I already have some on hand, are bad for the turtle? I have 7 goldfish and a pleco that live with my turtle. The goldfish were originally bought as "treats" for the turtle but he ate one or two of them and let the rest live for the last year. Now the goldfish have what I'm guessing is Fin Rot and their scales appear to be falling off too. They are changing color and sitting on the bottom of the tank, it doesn't look good. Turtle seems normal. Any recommendations in this situation.
rustyhinge

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:56 am   Re: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Usually if it is safe for fish, it's safe for turtles. I would, however, be more concerned that there might be some thing contagious in the tank - either fungus or bacterial. And if those don't pose an immediate risk for your turtle, you wouldn't want your turtle to eat them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm   Re: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Copper power green is mainly for Ich problems.
Some research needs done , maracyn#2 is much more affective for fin rot. There are gram positive and gram negative infections. You must address the “root” cause. If truly fin rot maracyn #2 for gram negative infections is best ! What stage is the fin rot in 1,2,3or4. Yes there are stages and treatment adjusted to stage.

You must separate infective fish , a quarantine tank , never treat home tank with the other fish or turtle. Wont hurt them but one never treats a home tank treat the sick fish. Home tank can be fully cleaned , media too ( replace media best ) ! Any treatment will kill all your good beneficial bacteria along with killing the bad bacteria. This is also a good time to have a properly sized UV "sterilizer" to remove the bad bacteria not a UV "clarifier" but sterilizer.

If truly fin rot maracyn #2 for gram negative infections is best !

PS: You actually have two problems the scales falling off is another problem. Melafix can help that , different from fin rot ! Normally due to keeping them in wrong water parameters. Trutles are warm water and goldfish are cool water fish and need undectable parameters. Yes could and does work in same tank but the goldfish will never be truly healthy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:30 am   Re: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Thank you both. Yes I need to learn a lot still about this hobby. Whatever struck the tank hit the fish fast and they were all dead in two days. Turtle appears normal. I did a full tank cleaning, replaced my media, vacuum, the whole deal.

I will look into the UV sterilizer, much thanks on that.
rustyhinge

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am   Re: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Some think a UV sterilizer will kill off good bacteria too since they interpret what they read as kills all bacteria. That’s wrong. Your good bacteria is alive and attaches itself to objects in your tank and filter ! The bad bacteria is a “free-floating” bacteria which will pass through the sterilizer and be killed. The flow rate is very important on this. That’s why to me it’s best to get one with it’s own pump that matched to the wattage bulb used ! Example : 100’s of 90 gallon tanks out there with all different pumps ( flow rates) and arrangements. No two will be alike. How can one sterilizer work for all using “there” flow rate when an exact flow over the uv sterilizer is needed to kill bad “free-floating” bacteria. This is why one with it’s own pump matched to size bulb already is easier to size to your system.
Here are some simple readings / chart that will help.

https://livingartaquatics.com/how-will- ... -aquarium/

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... etable.jpg

https://www.aquascapeinc.com/water-gard ... terilizers

http://qualitywaterexpert.com/differenc ... terilizer/
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:04 pm   Re: Copper Power bad for turtle?

Thanks again litefoot
rustyhinge

Return to General Care Discussion