General Care Discussion :: Beak Breaking? Or Filing?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:30 pm   Beak Breaking? Or Filing?

Hi -
We are new here. Our red ear slider is just over a year old. His name is Jimmy. This morning we woke up and noticed Jimmy's beak looking jagged. I recently started giving him cuddle bones for extra calcium due to his shell sinking in on one side. Metabolic Disease probably..It had been like that for a long while...hmm..6months or so before we figured out it could be lack of calcium. So, I just let the cuddle bone float around in his tank and every once in a while he will grab a bite off it now. He is on his second bone in the last couple months. I didn't notice his beak breaking down before. I read where bones will help in keeping beak growth down. Is it possible he's breaking it down to much? Do I need to take the bone out?

My daughter saved him at a fair from a guy who was over breeding the poor things. He was smaller than a quarter when she got him. She moved out last month and left me him. I know very little about him and how to care for him unfortunately. But, Learning more everyday. I have attached a picture. Thanks for any and all advice. :mrgreen:
Attachments
pixlr_20200212101038444.jpg
Islandgrljk

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:29 am   Re: Beak Breaking? Or Filing?

It doesn't look too bad. The beak should constantly grow, so I'm not sure I see anything I would worry about. Do you have any tank decorations that he might be aggressively biting? My male RES did this, and his tank is now pretty much bare.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm   Re: Beak Breaking? Or Filing?

I agree with Steve.

I am more concerned about how you prepared the cuttlebone for Jimmy ?

""I know very little about him or how to care for him unfortunately"" stated.

Cuttlefish bones are lightweight and chalky , for manufactures to keep in in some kind of form they use a synthetic/man-made backing. When a turtle is strong enough to break it and eat can cause blockages internally (the backing). Also a turtle’s system can not digest it. Blockages and or internal cuts from the backing can cause _____. Some get lucky until that day happens…then wonder why. When a necropsy is done the backing is the cause. Heard too many stories of turtles and early _____ from the backing at the center. You can buy bones “without” the backing but most use bird cuttlebones since much cheaper. Remove backing or use powered supplement if needed. A balanced ,well varied , nutritious diet with proper UVB lighting to help the metabolic process is best then calcium supplements are only needed as a option. Only with a blood test can one know for sure if calcium is need as in a case for females producing egg’s.

Being you just inherited him from your daughter I would research well . Goggle for lots of videos on how to remove backing for a turtle , Jimmy’s safety. You can use search box above too on cuttlebone.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion