General Care Discussion :: Res won’t bask

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:43 pm   Res won’t bask

I have two Res turtles. Both are female and about 5 years old. One of my turtles is not basking. The other is basking regularly. The one not basking has just finished antibiotic injections every 3 days after not eating. She is now eating again, but will not bask regularly. I’ve seen her go up twice in the past week, once tonight after feeding but immediately jumped back in the water when I went to close the lid on basking area. The vet had my dry dock her with water to her waist but not covering her shell for a couple of hours a day while getting antibiotic. Now that she is done with injections the vet wants me to let her go for a couple of days and see if she would start to bask. The couple days passed and still nothing. So I dry docked her again a night ago. I’m thinking to myself she is stressed (as am I) from me taking her in and out of the tank for dry docking and vet appointments. I don’t know how long turtles can go without basking before it’s an issue to their health. I don’t want to keep pulling her out for dry docking because my belief is she is just stressed and will eventually bask normally again, but I don’t want to let her go for too long without it. How long is too long without basking? Please help, thank you! Water temps 84 basking 90. Both are In 120 gallon tank, with water changes every 14 day’s and filter changes once a month. Also I have tried turning water temp down a little to hopefully entice her to bask? Again, HELP!
Wisslerb

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 am   Re: Res won’t bask

Was her not basking an issue before her injections? Though they can get stressed, they also adapt quickly. If you gave her more privacy, perhaps covering the sides of the tank and reducing foot traffic around her tank she will bask more. How's the interaction between her and her tankmate?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:58 am   Re: Res won’t bask

Hope all remain safe with this covid-19 !

Like to see the answers Steve asked for more info too help better.

In the meantime try this. No two turtle or humans find the same temp as comfortable as the other . The wife wants home at 75* and husband likes 78*. You have two young adults that do not require /need water temp high like a baby. Some older turtle’s enjoy water at 75* well. Water at 84* to me is a little high for five year old’s and makes the water for that one too enticing. “Gradually” lower water to 78* or to a satisfactory comprise between the two of them. Observe a while . Basking temp 90* is good for most turtles , if needed offer an area about 2* higher for that one . Hopefully basking area is large enough you can offer varying temp range so each can choose what each wants and when. The relative size and age of them they feel a few degrees a lot more than us humans. I use a properly rated dimmer on my supplemental heat bulb so I can adjust one degree at a time . Easier than moving fixture’s around.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 pm   Re: Res won’t bask

Thank you both for responding, I greatly appreciate it! The night after I posted it wouldn’t let me on the page for about a week until tonight. So I apologize for the late response. So I ended up letting her go for a few days (3) and seeing if she was just stressed out. I tried to sit back and observe from afar, giving her space, and she only had gone up to bask maybe twice for a minute or so. So I pulled her out last Thursday for two hours. That was the last time I pulled her out so she’s gone 4 days since and had gone up again for a couple mins maybe twice a day. Today though I was told while I was at work she has gone up 4 separate times to bask, longest being 10-15 mins. Needless to say I am happy for sure! I don’t want to have to pull her out anymore so as long as this keeps up I should be good right? As for your questions she started not basking pre injections when she wasn’t eating. her tankmate is full of energy! Always swimming frantically when I come around. I do see her checking on the sick one a lot. They seem to interact a lot. Sad as I feel she is worried for her mate. They’ve been together for 5 years so I’m sure they have some connection. I never see them fight. So for the temp in the tank, it’s currently at 83 almost 84. But after finally seeing your responses I definitely think I’m going to try what you are saying and slowly lower that temp and observe. I just always felt 80 was cold. But I start thinking what if I had to live in water and what I would want it at so I’m really not having the right outlook there. I do apologize like I said I will correct the temp starting tonight. Hopefully within a few days she will be basking More! Thanks again!
Wisslerb

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 pm   Re: Res won’t bask

No need to apologize, there was an issue with this site's host but that's been resolved. I agree with litefoot, I would try to lower the water temps (75-78 is fine for older RES) but also make sure you are using an accurate thermometer (those inexpensive ones with a probe aren't). Basking temp is fine, but could also be higher if necessary. Basically, you want to entice her to go up there. Sounds like you're both making good progress!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:20 pm   Re: Res won’t bask

Your are a good Dad to them , keep observing , it’s key in this hobby !
Tweaking the temps will be too enticing for her and will bask more.
Also something else to try. Young turtles do not like change at all. When older there curiosity get’s very strong . Cut a piece of cork to sit flat on basking dock ( glue if needed) about 5” long and only needs to be about 3/4” to and inch high. Older turtles have that strong instinct to investigate . She over time will eye it up then climb up on dock to check it out. Instinct will tell her she can dip dry better on an angle and bask more. Be creative , turtles always looking for what’s better. Ever see in the wild one rock in the best place with two or three turtles on top of each other , king of the mountain. Have any broken plastic plants around. Take a small broken branch and stick it in/on basking dock towards the front. Make like a small wall of the plastic plants. Only needs to be an inch high or so and a few inches long to work. She will check it out. Some think they are hiding behind it , even if only there head is hidden. All it takes is a small change to get there curiosity up. By going on dock to see she may stay and bask longer.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion