General Care Discussion :: Turtle obsessed with his light

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:06 pm   Turtle obsessed with his light

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a large, 12 year old RES. He’s had the gimmick for several years with the zoo-med hanging light for his basking area (the two lights side by side in one enclosed version, for warmth and uvb). It used to be that on very rare occasions he’d take interest in the lamp for a minute, figure out he was never going to get it and go back about his day.

But for the past two month he has become obsessed with it. He is CONSTANTLY on his PCV platform, climbing up so that his feet are on the platform and his hands are on the mesh tank cover, losing his grip, and then coming down belly first on the platform. It’s become a nightmare. It’s loud and unpleasant. I’m working remotely from home in a creative field and I’m constantly in a bad mood because the turtle is making so much noise for hours at a time. the PVC platform I built keeps coming apart because he’s a heavy turtle and it can’t withstand his constant falling. I’m sure it doesn’t help his eyes that he’s constantly staring directly into light bulbs that are only inches from his face.
anthonyammo

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:11 am   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

I don't think my RES have tried reaching the lamps, but it's definitely annoying when they repeatedly cause a ruckus.

Is it possible the basking area is not warm enough? Or maybe your turtle is looking to get out, and he thinks the area under the light is the closet exit?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:34 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

I suppose either of those are possible, though it is strange to me that he would suddenly take up this new hobby since I can’t pinpoint a variable.

Will try to look into the temperature thing. Thanks!
anthonyammo

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:13 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

I think when boredom sets in, they might obsess over certain things in and around the tank. How big is the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:38 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

I think it’s a 40 gallon breeder, which is the biggest I can get away with in my 4th floor, pre-war apartment.

Aside from his landing there is not much in there to be occupied by, aside from lettuce leaves and such which are often floating around.
anthonyammo

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

Is he still fixated on the light? Is he staring at the UVB or heat lamp? I thought pre-war apartments were very sturdy compared to today's buildings, the ceiling is paper thin in mine anyway.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:29 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

My building is falling apart—floor is more crooked with every year, walls cracking near the corners. Decided not to put a large screen on the wall even though it would help my work because I don’t trust it. The place is in shambles!

He seems to be staring at the UVB. I wish it was the heat light because I actually switch those up and it could be a variable to swap out, but the UVB that he’s staring at is the same model light that I’ve switched out every six months for many years. Not sure why now it is so interesting.

As chance would have it, he was obsessed with the light for hours of every day until I made the OP of this thread. Since then, he’s messed with it for maybe a combined half hour all week. It’s like he knows I finally consulted for help and decided he’s carried on this gag long enough!
anthonyammo

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:36 pm   Re: Turtle obsessed with his light

Yea, that seems to happen a lot. I guess you can leave it off of maybe move it further away. A few years ago, UVB rays caused a lot of eye irritations to turtles and other reptiles.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion