General Care Discussion :: Taking indoor YBS on outdoor adventure

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:17 pm   Taking indoor YBS on outdoor adventure

Hello! I’m new to caring for a YBS. I love my new friend! He has such an amazing personality! I love to interact with him throughout the day, and he likes his tank and basking area. I know that he is regionally wild where I live, and like to take him outside to the beach for exercise. What temperatures are the best for taking him on short walks (under an hour) at the beach? Yes, he is allowed to freely roam while I stay right next to him!
Ahngeleh

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:01 pm   Re: Taking indoor YBS on outdoor adventure

Hi, temperatures should be around 75-85, and could be higher with shade. I strongly do not advise taking a turtle outdoors without any barriers/fencing or proper enclosure. They are faster than you think, can blend into a natural environment, and are also skilled at climbing and digging.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:24 pm   Re: Taking indoor YBS on outdoor adventure

Thanks for the reply! You’re right - he can be pretty quick! I did want to note that I am always right beside him! I like taking him to the beach where there is plenty of room for him to bask and stretch his legs! I never let him get too near the water or the boardwalk. I am also always on the lookout for dogs and wildlife on the beach. Since it is spring, it rarely gets up to his preferred temperature outside. I was wondering what would be too cold/uncomfortable for him now. Also, what would be too hot for him in the summer? I am talking about temperatures for a 45 minute scamper on the beach – not anything long-term. I understand the preferred temperatures, but also know that these turtles are native to my area.
Ahngeleh

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:58 am   Re: Taking indoor YBS on outdoor adventure

I'm sure you will be close by, but it only takes a moment of distraction to lose sight of them. It's happened to all of us. Depending on his size, birds might be after him as well. Sand can get pretty hot, so I'd be cautious if that is the kind of surface he will be on.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion