General Care Discussion :: RES Has Started Wandering

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:10 pm   RES Has Started Wandering

I just discovered this forum tonight, so please bear with me. My RES is nine years old. She came with the house I bought a year and a half ago. I have a 1500 gallon pond in my backyard, which is where she spends most of her time. This past week, she has started wandering around my backyard, and down the entire side of my house. She didn’t do this last year. Is it because she wants to find a place to lay her eggs? I have no knowledge on this topic at all. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Gattina

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:12 am   Re: RES Has Started Wandering

It's possible, what else does she do besides wander? How long does she do it for?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:19 am   Re: RES Has Started Wandering

She just started this last week. She’s normally in or around the pond, or on the patio, which is close to the pond. In the past few days, I have found her way out in my backyard, which is artificial grass. I found her along the side of my house, which is gravel. Today I found her in the middle of the little bridge that crosses the pond. She’s never been there before that I know of. The only other time I’ve ever found her away from the pond was early last fall, when we had a huge rain storm here in Vegas. The pond overflowed up onto the patio. The next morning, I found her all the way down the side of the house, clawing at the gate, which is metal. I picked her up and put her back in the pond, where she’s been ever since.
Gattina

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:39 am   Re: RES Has Started Wandering

If you're comfortable with handling her, then you can gently feel for eggs. If she is gravid and can't find a place to lay them, they might be expelled into the water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:37 pm   Re: RES Has Started Wandering

I wouldn't know what I was feeling for. I have a friend who can do it, tho. Thx.
Gattina

Return to General Care Discussion