General Care Discussion :: Neck Blister?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:09 pm   Neck Blister?

Hello! I was Feeding Shelldon Leo Kooper (13.5 Years; Female; 7 In SCL) when I noticed a strange blister-like red on her neck. I have of course emailed her veterinarian about it, but in the meantime, if anyone has any experience or advice with such a matter, any information would be helpful. There was another zit like red mark that appeared on her tail last July; her veterinarian said that it would likely resolve on its own. The tail zit hasn't really changed between last July and today, neither better nor worse. Its possible the two are related, but gathering information as soon as possible from a variety of sources I believe will help.

Tank: 75 Gallon Aqueon; Fresh Air Screen
Basking Area: Slate Tile Throne on PCV Pipes with Slate Tile Ramp covered by Dri Dek for traction; Basking Temperature about 90 (as of today), UVB readings are between 2.9 and 7.4 UVI (Usually in the 5 range). Was basking comforably yesterday and this morning.
Water Temperature: Maintained by two Heaters; usually at around 76-77 degrees F.
Eats enthusiastically, swims enthusiastically especially when I enter room. Fidgets normally when I hold her.
Attachments
Tail Zit 3.png
Tail Zit 3.png (137.53 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Blister 3.png
Blister 3.png (361.91 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:41 am   Re: Neck Blister?

On occasion, my female RES would get one or two on the webbing of her feet and that's similar to the one your girl's tail. They are small, maybe 1 or 1.5mm in diameter and go away by themselves.

Could the one the neck be a scab from an injury?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:52 am   Re: Neck Blister?

It is possible. I didn't observe any injuries on the neck, but due to the location of the blister, its possible that a small injury occurred there that I did not observe.

Sometimes Shelldon withdraws her head in a manner that causes minor injuries, so its possible that this is what occurred. I cannot think of any tank elements that would have caused such an injury, especially given how far back along the neck it is located.

I will certainly keep an eye on it, while leaving it alone, and of course her veterinarian has been notified of it.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:13 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

Are the two the same size?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:36 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

No, I would say the one on the neck is slightly larger.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:10 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

Does she express any sensitivity when it's touched? Does it feel hard, like its calloused?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:07 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

I just did a tactile test

The one on the neck didn't really feel hard or calloused, it felt kinda like a pimple if I had to make a comparison. The one on the tail felt rough,like a reptilian scale.

With both, Shelldon didn't really react to me touching it, she was just fidgeting like usual.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 am   Re: Neck Blister?

thanks for the info. Let us know what happens, curious to hear what your vet thinks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:40 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

I have gotten in touch with her veterinarian and they recommend we bring her in to take a look. The soonest available appointment was this Thursday so we will be looking at it then.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:59 pm   Re: Neck Blister?

Well, the lump was successfully removed. No dry docking necessary since it was so small, a special 'liquid skin' was simply able to be applied.

We're still not sure what it is but they are sending it for analysis.

As soon as we got home, Shelldon got spooked and swam into the ramp, picture enclosed.

Do you think that will heal on its own?
Attachments
Post OP Injury.png
Post OP Injury.png (74.21 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Gerstein

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:42 am   Re: Neck Blister?

Great to hear about the lump. As for the new injury... they can heal but you need to keep a close eye on it. If it does get worse, then it might have become infected and should be looked at ASAP.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion