Habitat - Indoor :: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:03 pm   Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

I haven't posted here in forever but you guys were lifesavers when my daughter returned form the local fair with a tiny RES hatchling in a little plastic critter carrier. That appeared to be sick. We ended up with a 30 Gallon set up and Peanut after a rocky start has been thriving but is long past ready for an upgrade in habitat.

We were able to get a 75 a gallon with stand used for $55. She included some decor Items but couldn't find the filters or heater (thought here ex might have taken them with him) no hood But I am thinking of building an above the tank basking box down the road.

For now I was planning to go with a little over half full tank building basking platform he can swim under, some resting spots and some artificial plants for hiding. I am not all that familiar with growing aquatic plants so might add some later but not now.

I have already ordered a new heater, and new UVB and basking fixtures and bulbs also ordered new thermometers because I have had some problems with the current set.

My questions are on filtration and substrate.

I know general rule of thumb is to double the filtration capacity of your water volume. Our current flirtation will not come close to that so I need to purchase a new system. Is anyone familiar with this brand?

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/bestchoice ... ct/SKY504/

I found it in a google search. I am on a tight budget and price looks great BUT the fact it is so much lower than others that filter the same volume has me concerned.

second question is what are your thoughts on substrate. I read conflicting opinions on river stone and sand. Current tank is bare bottomed.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Hey TabiCat, I don't post often either but the plethora of info and helpful members here is great.

That filter that you linked is acutally on Amazon too, and the reviews seem decent:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Prod ... dpSrc=srch

At that price, it seems like it's worth a shot.

My personal recommendation is no small, jagged, or rough rocks for substrate. Rocks in general are a pain when it comes to cleaning the tank. All kinds of gunk gets lodged under and in-between the rocks.

Sand, on the other hand, is great. I have used pool sand and aquarium sand with great results. Make sure you look up how to prepare that sand so that you don't get super cloudy water. It is also easy to clean, as the waste will generally just sit on top of the sand. Easy enough to siphon out. It doesn't take much to cover the bottom of the tank. Make sure you don't layer the sand to thickly on the bottom. I go for 1/4 inch, to a 1/2 inch max thickness.
rambologic

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 am   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

For what you're looking for, I would probably go for the Penn Plax Cascade 1200. It's not my first choice, but the Fluval FX filters are a bit more but a huge step up.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:13 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Thanks for your feed back.

Ordering filter next pay check (next week) that will be the bulk of my budget for now. So I can't do an above the tank build I want but he/she is still small enough that 1/2 full to 3/4 should be deep enough until next up grade. (Also considering an outdoor habitat but planning to keep nice indoor tank for colder months. I just worry about predators including cats.) Turtle is about 1.5 years old and right under 4 in across and really needs to move ASAP.

Having a bit of trouble with my plan for the basking platform so coming up with new plan. Has to be very low construction cost for two reasons, one I will upgrading in not too distant future and two my budget is running low at this point. I have the been looking at threads here for ideas.

I still don't know if this is a girl or boy so not sure about nesting space.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 am   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

For an in-tank basking area, go with either pvc/tile or a piece of cork bark. The bark might cost a bit more since it's not a common item to find but it's 100% natural and looks great in the tank. Tile will be super strong and last forever. You do need to be careful moving it since it's very heavy and can scratch the glass. Nesting spaces usually don't work and just take up space/make a mess.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

I found cork bark piece just wide enough to wedge in place on 40% off sale.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Nice! Be aware that since it's natural, measurements might be off a bit. It will also expand a little when in the water, so don't have a super tight fit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:34 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Good tips thanks. The sales associate also recommended presoaking it like you do with drift wood to pull out the tanning effects on the water.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:01 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

It will also be good to clean it up a little since it's natural and check/remove any loose parts.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:40 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

We are still working on setup. There is no turtle in there he is still in the 30 gallon. I did pull out his waterfall because DD wanted to find a way incorporate it in the new tank. I ordered a UVB that would fit the fixtures that came with this tank. It came in today and doesn't work. I can just move his lights over when he moves. New heater and thermometer are supposed to be here tomorrow. The main thing I am waiting on is ordering a proper filter. I have a medium internal filter in there just to keep water moving but it won't carry this tank.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

You're working pretty fast! Double check for any spots that he might get stuck in... he will like to explore a lot and they think they squeeze into the tightest areas.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:53 pm   Re: Setting up new tank. Have a some questions.

Yeah DD and I have days available right now. I am a teacher and I know in a couple of weeks I won't have any spare time so I have been kinda rush things along.
TabiCat

Return to Habitat - Indoor