Habitat - Indoor :: external filter noise problem!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:22 pm   external filter noise problem!

Hello, I'm new in this forum. I'll introduce my turtles and the aquariums they live in but first of all I really need help for my filter that makes annoyiny noise for a while as if something inside clattering.
The uploaded video is below. It's a Tectratec Ex 1200 Plus filter. I've been using it for only two months. when I noticed the noise I sent it (only the head part) to Tetra service that gives technical support; they checked that part and said there is nothing wrong with the motor or the impeller. They sent it back but the problem goes on. I think it is not air trapping or media clogging but what is it? I really need your ideas.
potash

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:54 pm   Re: external filter noise problem!

Since you sent it back and was checked and they found all good then :

They are not known as being quiet filters to start. Also the motor housing develops leaks. For a $120 filter it is constructed well enough. Just have to baby them especially when priming. That also includes purging the inlet line as well of any air or will just go into the filter/impeller. It's not being primed well enough and with there placement of the impeller it's trapping air causing the noise. Also if motor head not sealing good it can suck air in. They are known for that too ! Put some lite Vaseline on gasket/o ring to help seat it better , every time you open it can help ! Give more time and attention when priming before it cracks the impeller. Also when doing maintenance clean impeller housing well too , any dirty , anything in that area will create a noise too. Depending on what part of the world you live in you may not of had lots of options on filters. When they do work they are ok. It's a learning cure all go through.

Note: can not tell in the dark video but filter placement especially on "Tetra" canister filters are very important ! The motor head "must" be below the level of water of the tank !! That's one of those laws of physics ! You have a mag driven impeller ( placement important) , it's not a pressure filter/motor. If you have it on the side of the tank and motor head above the tank water , lower the filter even if you have to buy longer lines to do so.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am   Re: external filter noise problem!

sorry for the video; I only focused on the noise itself and so didn't care display. The filter is inside the cabinet, that's why the image is dark. It's under the aquarium, which is on that cabinet. Water flow and circılation is really ok but as you point out there is problem with the impeller. It seems that I couldn't place the head properly and it causes air trapping. I must check the head part whether closed evenly onto the case.
potash

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 am   Re: external filter noise problem!

If you get a pinch on the head o ring it will have to be replaced. All it takes is a very small pinch. May not even see it but may feel it. Care must be taken when closing filter. When o ring is dry will bind , pinch , even roll … Reason for lite Vaseline / lube on it. Don't just put lube on one side remove o ring carefully and coat all around it . Also good to have a spare on hand ! https://www.aquariumline.com/catalog/pr ... 18802.html

Also even after priming well start and stop filter a couple times to help any air trapped out . Allow a few seconds for any air to settle between starting and stopping. Nothing in life is totally self-priming , all filters have there bugs about them .

This shop out of stock today but should have it soon. You can check other sites too. Those o ring's only last maybe a year then needs replacement even when using lube !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:17 pm   Re: external filter noise problem!

When the filter is off and dry, could you shake it and hear any noise? I would recheck that the impeller is not missing any parts and the magnet is not cracked... I think that could obscure any previous inspection.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor