Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:33 pm   

Thanks. I'm trying to brainstorm how to mount the pump now. If I used 4" PVC, I might be able to find a pump small enough to fit inside. Don't know yet.

Edit: well never mind that idea. I found an external inline magnetic pump that'll flow 350 gph for about 60 bucks. Even with the PVC, connections, hose and media, this filter will still be quite a bit cheaper than a "real" one!
TheBean

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 am   

What media do you recommend for a filter such as the one I'm describing above? I was thinking about a loose fill but something big enough to not get caught in the tubes and flow through the pump.

I've seen some spiky ball looking things. What do you think?
TheBean

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:19 am   

well the loose fill would be the best idea. I would try to come up with some sort of screen to out inside the larger tubes to prevent the media from going through the tubes.

I would also make sure that each tube was full. Even though it says on some charcoal "5 oz/10 gallons" or whatever, I would just fill it up all the way so to maximize contact with the flowing water.
Racer_X_123

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:40 pm   

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips!
TheBean

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:39 am   

How would you go about putting the filter media in this??

This sounds great. I think i might just come up with a plan for something like this. instead of spending 100-300 for a canster i can build one just as good for much less.

Also how quite is this? Our tank is in my girlfriends room and needs to be somewhat quite?
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am   

You just take the top off the Tupperware as you normally would.

It is as quite as the pump, so its very quite.
Racer_X_123

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:31 pm   

whats the gph on this thing? Really looking into doing this. Probably going to make a good size one as well
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:43 pm   

well the pump i was using is like 250gph.

If you make your own, Make sure that the water has no choice but to go through the media. My first prototype was not very good and water went around the media, thus not filtering it.
Racer_X_123

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm   

Yea i hear ya. I think I am going to make a slight modification to this after seeing how my current dinky filter gets clogged so much now that my two babies are growing up. I'll make a DIY for it and post a link to it on here...

But basicaly what i am going to do is create a 2 stage filter. One mechinical and the other bio/chemical.

I am going to get two airtight containters similar to your from walmart. The first one which will have the inlet will be purely made of that sponge stuff. I might get a smaller one instead of a big one not sure.

I will make it so that it comes in though the top and exits though the bottom.

Then on the second stage have it come in thought the top once again have it flow though the carbon and bio rocks and maybe a 3rd stubstance not sure followed by the pump at the bottom with a sponge filter on that to protect the pump.

Looking into getting a 300gph at least since i may only have a 10 gal for now but will be upgrading to a 40-60 gal in the next month or two once i get money.

I think this will be a little easier on the clean up side of things since there will be a lot of things like food and poop and who knows what else (I have a lot of this slim like material from the new tank syndrom and it clogs everything up) so i think that will be a good set up.

Only thing i have to ask...

Is it better to have the pump on the bottom or top??
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:32 pm   

So what sucks the water into the Tupperware?
mugenx

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:09 pm   

and Eco 396 submersible/inline water pump. Havent built the filter yet. i figure its going to cost about a total of 80 bucks including filter media.

I think i'm going to try to intergrate it into an undergravel filter as well since that is what im looking for so it cleans everything.
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 pm   

So how would you up the GPH and effectively make it for a bigger tank? Just use a bigger tupperware or would you need to use different hardware?
Nin10doGC

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:27 pm   

Make it using big tupperware.

Then all you have to do to up the GPH is just buy a new inline pump. My 396 gph was only 30 bucks online
1 RES - Spikey
drtweak

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:55 am   

hi
i know it is a good solution for small tanks.
just u must take care of the pomp's power because normal external Filters have powerful pomp

i searched web for Homemade external filter but unfortunately i found this after i bought one 1000 liter/hour Jebo Filter for 50$ .

but i liked this homemade filter and the idea to use that Air/water tight Tupperware

thanks

Br
LEON 4 EVER
leon1355

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 pm   

I wonder. I have a can filter that is currently misbehaving. I like everyone tried the sand idea and even raising the intake it gets sand in it.

My idea is since the pump is dead if i could just splice the outlet tube and put a good pump in its place. And while doing this put some kind of barrier between the can and the pump (maybe the stalkings idea from another post). This way if any sand does make its way in it will not harm the motor, but thinking about it some ponds have dirt in them and these pumps power throught that so it might not even be an issue anymore.

Any suggestions on this will be appreciated. I'm also not terribly concerned if my plan doesnt' and ruining the filter because I can't make it much worse.
All I Want in Life is to be Happy!!
Listen97

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor