Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:33 pm   

Thank so much! I am still trying to find "fun" things for Shilo to have in his tank :)
grandmadoes

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:09 am   

Fred's basking area has been a work in progress. I have added to and subtracted things along the way. I found out that he is a fantastic escape artist, so had to add barriers where I did not think I would need them...I really did not foresee a turtle being able to stretch as far as he did! I added the greenery, for privacy. When it is just me here, he is fine, but when my husband was in from the rig, or my boys were home on break, he was very nervous. He seems to like it this way. He climbs onto the middle of the plants under his lamp for his super warmth, then moves around to other areas and or will keep his feet in the light while his shell is under the plants to regulate.

1 RES:Fred, 1 Cat:Squintley
2 Dogs:Sarge (RIP) and Winston
1 Bulbul:Melchizedek 1 Budgie:Bobbin(RIP)
1 Husband, 3 Boys: 21, 22, 25 years old
3 Hedge Hogs:Rascal,Tumbleweed &
Snicklefritz
evlock

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:37 am   

Aww Fred looks so happy up there! That's a really pretty basking area!
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
octpusgirl8

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:33 pm   

Looks very nice! I like that basking area too, it's like a little jungle. What kind of tank do you have... I notice that the ends look rounded.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:25 pm   

Hi! I love the plants and it seems like Fred enjoys them too! Shilo is a little shy too, but he is on the vanity in the hall bathroom so he keeps an eye on us. I found some of the cork and put it his tank and he was so mad at me and he stayed as far away as he could for 2 days so I have removed it....
grandmadoes

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:23 am   

octpusgirl8 wrote:Aww Fred looks so happy up there! That's a really pretty basking area!

Thanks, OctopusGirl!
Snicklefritz
evlock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:30 am   

steve wrote:Looks very nice! I like that basking area too, it's like a little jungle. What kind of tank do you have... I notice that the ends look rounded.

I guess, it is considered a bow front. It is 55 gallons. There were only three tanks in the store: a 10 gal.; a 20 gal.; and this one. I think the shopkeeper was stunned to finally sell it. It was very dusty inside, so I could tell it had been there a while. He gave me a hefty discount. It is really a beautiful tank. The cabinet is well made, with cut outs for the filter lines and shelving on the center section. But most of all, Fred loves it and it is far better than the 15 gal we had Fred in before.
Snicklefritz
evlock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:34 am   

grandmadoes wrote:Hi! I love the plants and it seems like Fred enjoys them too! Shilo is a little shy too, but he is on the vanity in the hall bathroom so he keeps an eye on us. I found some of the cork and put it his tank and he was so mad at me and he stayed as far away as he could for 2 days so I have removed it....

Thank you! I am sorry the cork didn't work out for Shilo. I have been thinking of getting a piece to replace Fred's underwater resting platform. But we never know what our turtles are going to do with what we put in their homes, do we?
Snicklefritz
evlock

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:18 am   

grandmadoes - Sometimes it takes a while for a turtle to warm up to something new we put in their tank. Some will swim right over and hop onto a new basking dock and some will take days before deciding it's safe enough to try out. Just depends on how outgoing your turtle is.
Tracie
1 2yr male RES Buddy
1 fat female cat Missy
1 fluffy male cat Joey
1 husband Kyle
http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/RESnTX/
RESnTX

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:04 pm   

where do you get the milk crate do you guys get them for free?
do you like go to a store and ask them for a milk crate and also after you got the milk crate how did you get it to stick to the tank?
vivian89

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 pm   

where do you get the milk cartons and what do you use to attache the carton to the tank?
vivian89

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:29 pm   

RESnTX, thanks for the encouragement, I really want Shilo to be happy in his space. I am going to stick to what I had before. He is finally adjusting to the longer tank and loves to "hang" with his feet out ( wish I could do that!) I do like the milk crates .....hmmmm
grandmadoes

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 pm   

I really like all these basking platforms. What did you use/can you use to glue the egg crates together? hot glue gun?
Turtlefriend

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:32 am   

What is the best type of fake plants to use in your tank with turtles? I am concerned they may want to take a bit out of them. What about real water plants. I have seen where some people use them to feed their res, but from the lists I have seen, I am unable to find at my pet stores.
packfan1

Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 pm   

Good sturdy plastic plants are a good bet, it's best to avoid the fabric ones. Most aquatic plants sold in pet stores are fine for turtles, but it would be a good idea to write down the names of what your pet shop has and google them to make sure they're not poisonous. Most pet stores that carry aquatic plants sell anacharis, it's also referred to as elodea sometimes. Hornwort is common and cheap, but my turtle is more into shredding it than eating it so i don't get it too often. Another option is to buy them online, but shipping is a bit expensive for live plants. BTW, in the future, you should start a new topic rather than posting an unrelated question in an existing topic.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
octpusgirl8

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor