Habitat - Indoor :: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What did you use to filter it ??
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:02 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember I'm old and been doing this for over thirty years , also a packrat , do not throw anything away. At my old house I kept from that in ground pond several PM190's I used as fountains.

http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1 ... 0_kit.html

Just removed there media and set it up for turtle's ,worked great. Improvise !!! Would hide it with plants. Will not work in a small tank but for larger ones great do the room it takes up. Took fountain head off added hose with a DIY spray bar. Back then was only $30-$40 now about $70 but still cheaper than one with the turtle name on it. Also a DIY 5 gallon bucket Bio filter. Always had crystal clear water !

Now the FX6 all in one place mechanical , chemical , biological will make it easier in my young age. Haha! Cost is always a thing in this hobby but at this time in my life I broke down got one just for the ease of everything in one place. With one turtle now I really could go three four weeks on maintenance. But still do regular water changes in-between.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could afford an fx6 xD i wanted to build a trickle tower sump and run my magnum 350 for bottom cleaning. But i only have a 55 gallon tank lol . not a 150 gallon stock tank xD , me and my boyfriend are in the process of trying to get a place and then I'll be able to build something for the tank . cause right now a magnum 350 isn't holding lol ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like stock tank's , more natural to turtles , more like a pond. Haven't seen a pond with glass sides yet. Just me ! I use window treatments to cover the tub and looks good. Most use glass tank looks good and can see turtle more. Just be careful on glass: example say 150 gallon with high grade glass would cost $600 or more , Then you see some cheap thin tempered glass around $150 and up. (at chain stores ) That's why I even for my goldfish indoor pond have another Rubbermaid tub I wrapped it in cheap bamboo and look great. You can find tubs at tractor places , horse farm store online with free shipping most of the time. I already have them so I use them. Today with cost of living and on fixed income would not want to start over. It cost more buying 10,20,30,40 gallon and so on as turtles grow fast. Pumps too ! I try to help people get the largest they can afford (different options) now because it will cost more down the road. Have heard of people that give up ( cost , turtle size...)and the turtle ends up thrown in a city park . Almost all will die not it's natural habitat and or is illegal.

When it's your time you may end up with something better than an FX. I just bit the bullet at 63...!
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:53 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea well I have a male and female res and a small diamond back terrapin and I have 3 hatchling diamond back terrapins so im gunna eventually need a big tank for just my female red eared slider lol so things that are cost effective are more friendly to me , i like diy , dumps are what I focus on . I do nothing but read on them lol . but for now my 55 is home to 3 turtles . I found a 75 gallon COMPLETE setup on Craigslist for $200 but I don't have the money and it drives me nuts cause it comes with a fluval 403 but the guywont sell it seperate .. But either a sump or a 5 gallon bucket filter is what I wanna do on my 55 running with my magnum 350 ..
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:13 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry dam phone keeps ringing , my fishing buddies , that's another hobby. Before Hurricane Katrina I had eight turtles. In ground 2500 gallon pond. House ,car outdoor pond , all gone. Had 12 feet water ! Only found Mickey 18 yr old male RES I had since a baby but as of today re homed him with Dr. Earl at the nature center.
I made a mistake , in the past three years new wife , she said would change me and get the turtles out . Told her I had turtles for thirty years and her only close to three . Was not right for me... another story. Sorry it took me three years to see that. Hope your boyfriend is into turtles and make sure you keep him if all is good. Just wish Ellen took me for who I was instead of trying to change me/us. Be careful with Craigslist bring your boyfriend if you meet up with someone !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:08 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh definitely lol we have a baby together . he's not going anywhere . it'll be 3 years for me and him this coming sunday , and id never meet up with someone by myself especially off Craigslist. Heard way too many horror stories from that site .. But dang that sucks ! I wish I could get a stock tank up and running lol I've dreamt about it xD probably won't happen for a long time so for now I gotta make the 55 work until me and the boyfriend get our own place !
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:19 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulation's come Sunday !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:02 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! (: been a bumpy ride but I'm happy with where it got us and I wouldn't change it for anything <3
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:43 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

suryjuto wrote:Anyone with the Glasscages.com basking tank:

Is the basking platform/ramp removable/movable? Reason I'm asking is my center bracing on my tank is flanked on each side with glass. So not sure if I can adjust where it sits.

I had the same issue not too long ago with my new aquarium. The platform will lift off and can be removed, but depending on how you have your filter set up, you might have to take apart the hosing to lift it entirely out. My aquarium has the center glass brace across the top, and the ramp is right against it and angles down enough to where Matilda can easily climb up and get off without any issues. I modified the platfrom also by cutting off about 8" so she can re enter the water from either side, also so I don't have to mess with the filter hose everytime I need to do maintenance. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more ?'s. I have a good amount of experience with the Glasscages concept...
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 am   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More changes... Like the creek idea and Piggley likes it to. But the driftwood wedged in-between? Did not feel safe if jumped on from the top , it's high. Tried a solid bridge connecting the two docks and Piggley hated it ! Blocked his visibility. Hope first picture I post . Removed and just for now used some small branches , made like a tree fall in creak but little above the water. Also can be a new hang out and or a bridge. Piggley now can swim all the way through the creek and the logs do not block his line of sight or way. His driftwood is back on bottom where he sleeps in sometimes. He loves it even more !

I'm different than some , I do not keep my turtles in a quiet room away from traffic. Always have next to my chair upfront and always worked for me. For some reason I find my RES's like to watch TV more than other breeds. I do offer several hiding spots if needed. My chair is one foot from tank and my hand always hanging over the tank. I find we build a trust fast this way , at least with my RES's. This allows me to be more observant , to there needs and wants , to analyze // parent observation's are key to me. Guess you can say working on an academic degree in turtles. This is my way , for me only , but may work for some of you. Here's some pic's of the temporary log's , will find better logs down the road if Piggley continues to enjoy it.

Think Piggley wants to be on a track team , always swimming through the creek building up his legs. Just love it !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:04 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if he will like it, but it does look nice. I miss using a stock tank, I would interact a lot more with the turtles back then.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:33 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To a point he doesn't like it. Only climbs on it a little BUT he loves the fact that he can swim in the creek longer and better. Also think he prefers driftwood at the bottom better , so far sleeps there more than anywhere else. Driftwood wedged in-between just wasn't safe to me. Temporary for now. Thinking about having two long dowel pin's to hold docks , only that look well ? Will find better looking logs .
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:23 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piggley here lazy day , just watching my creek from the shore.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 pm   Re: POST YOUR BASKING AREA PICTURES HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks' to my not soon enough "X" I have NO more pictures anywhere ! This is what I could undelete /save for now.

https://youtu.be/QA0LlS2d1Rc

https://youtu.be/VvD7-StKjCQ
litefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor