Habitat - Indoor :: Sand FAQ

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

The turtle film is on the water surface?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

i bought the quikrite play sand today too. How many times did people wash through them?
ignites

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:02 am   Re: Sand FAQ

I depends on how long it takes to get the water clear. Bucket washing is the easiest way I think. I got a 5 gallon bucket, put the hose in the bucket, added the sand until the bucket was 3/4 full. Turn the hose on, slowly so you don't get the snake effect, and continuously stir the sand until the water running over is clear.
Rafa2k

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:50 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

Got a quick question, Has anyone ever tried to use any form of a bubbler with sand. Flexible bubble wands, or disks or just bubble wands of any type?
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 am   Re: Sand FAQ

Rafa2k wrote:I depends on how long it takes to get the water clear. Bucket washing is the easiest way I think. I got a 5 gallon bucket, put the hose in the bucket, added the sand until the bucket was 3/4 full. Turn the hose on, slowly so you don't get the snake effect, and continuously stir the sand until the water running over is clear.

I read this after i did it. Basically what i ended up doing was fill bucket 1/4 full and rinse it repeatedly and pull out whatever was floating in the buckets. I am not sure if i should do it again. I think its pretty clean. I spent 2 hours cleaning 1 bag of sand. We'll see tomorrow i guess.
ignites

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

MEandYouPhoto wrote:Got a quick question, Has anyone ever tried to use any form of a bubbler with sand. Flexible bubble wands, or disks or just bubble wands of any type?

I have 2 air stones with sand, no problem.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:11 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

PridgNYC wrote:
MEandYouPhoto wrote:Got a quick question, Has anyone ever tried to use any form of a bubbler with sand. Flexible bubble wands, or disks or just bubble wands of any type?

I have 2 air stones with sand, no problem.

Do you bury them under the sand or let them sit on top? Any chance you can include a picture of your setup?
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

I attached them to the wall just above the sand, they now sort of float around at the end of their airline since the suction cups have detached from the wall. Lots of pics in my picture thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30693 There is also a build thread with lots of pics.. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30478
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:57 am   Re: Sand FAQ

@Steve - Yes. It is on the water surface. It is that waxy looking, albeit nearly see-through, layer that morphs along the top of the water. I have seen it 'forever.' The way I explain it - from a day to day perspective - sounds bad, but isn't. It was that Bright Green that tripped me out.
I added more sand last weekend and my helper did a real crappy job, so I wound up doing a complete tank change (uhhhhghgh).
Since then I have not seen the iridescent green.
With that said, I don't know what really caused the green color since I never saw it before, and have not seen it since (a week now).

@ignites - although already answered - my input for future readers.
The first batch I rinsed until I thought it was clean and put it in the tank. When I put it in the tank it took a couple of hours to settle.
The second round I used this rule of thumb: Rinsed it with a hose (close enough to stir up the sand) and poured off the surface water, rinsed & poured off the surface water - like a zillion times.
When it started to run clear, I counted to 10 - if there was the slightest bit of silt floating in the water, I poured it off and rinsed it again.
It took forever, but...
When I hosed it down, counted to 10, and saw crystal clear water on top it did not create an iota of clouding when I put it in. Cool!
My opinion - the silt (however minimal) causes the clouding, so make sure it is all gone! It pays off.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:34 am   Re: Sand FAQ

Hello guys i recently bought a 40 gallon tank for my turtle i am putting the pieces together i came across a youtube vid where the owner of the turtle had sand and i liked that idea i have had my turtle for about 9yrs and had it with rocks on the bottom since its a new tank i wanna try something new but i don't know how she will react too the sand should i just use the rocks? if so what kind of sand should i buy two sources i have here are home depot and walmart but not sure on the brand and also i am gonna buy a 40 gallon whisper filter from walmart if that filter good enough for the sand? .. thanks
yellow belly 9

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:19 am   Re: Sand FAQ

The preferred type is called "pool filter sand". For a 40 gallon tank, you need to be looking at filters rated for a 120 gallon tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:26 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

i ended up buy play sand from home depot 50 pounds for like 5 bucks... damn i already bought the filter it's a whisper 40i filter three in one do you still recommend the sand with that filter?
yellow belly 9

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:57 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

It might just need to be arranged in a higher location.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:56 am   Re: Sand FAQ

yeah...and check out filter after a few days, and then after a week. common sense will dictate if it's an issue. happy sand- land!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm   Re: Sand FAQ

i had the sand there for about 2days then i took it out i didnt really like it too be honest so i have it plain no gravel
yellow belly 9

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor