Habitat - Indoor :: How was temp established?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:19 pm   

Do you know how that temperature was established? Obviously turtles living in the wild will have a much greater fluctuation than that. We keep ours inside most of the time and the water is about 72-76 degrees. They also go outside and get much greater temp swings depending on the exact time of year. :?:
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:49 am   

Sorry, I had to move your post. Just want to keep the stickys by themselves.

I know there are different temps in the wild, but these temps are supposed to be the best for them. I have to be honest and say I really don't know how they were established but they've proven to be the right range for many turts and their owners. The temps aren't always that great outdoors, but if we can improve on what they'd get in the wild, then why not, right?

Once I get my boys outside this summer, I'll let you know if I see a difference (good or bad) in behaviour. :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:09 pm   Water temps for aquatic turtles

I have found, by close observation, that turts can adapt very readily to outside water and air fluctuations. I've kept turtles in 18 inches of water in preformed ponds and with a mud box on the bottom, they have hibernated successfully. My 7 turtles stayed outside 24/7 in their 265 gallon pond all summer last year until I saw on my computer weather bug site that the temp was going to go to the 30s. I netted them all out and they went into the 265 gallon pond I have set up in the basement as their 'winter quarters'. I turned on the heater in that pond and raised the water temp to 74 degrees F. and that held until this early spring when I shut off the heater preparing them to go back outside. The water temp in the basement pond is now reading 62 degrees F. which will be the approximate outside pond water temp. on the sunny day they go in it. The night time temps have fallen into the low 40s and I've observed that that low temp does not effect their begging to be fed nor their ability to eat and digest their food. I really haven't observed any difference between my 2 raised-from-hatchling RESs and my 5 wild EPTs in the way they relate to temp fluctuations during the summer and fall months and the turtles that stayed out all year long. These are my personal observations with many hours spent sitting quietly at a spot watching wild turtles or standing quietly in the water in my waders or observing my own turts in their outside habitats. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:27 pm   water temp

By the way> I would not keep hatchlings or very young turtles in any habitat the had water temps below 74 deg. F. Even a wild hatchling has trouble digesting food in cool or cold water and will go off feeding, were that the case. Again, this info is from my experimenting with and observing wild hatchling EPTs and other very young aquatic turtles, including hatchling Common snapping turtles. A 3 inch Snapper has taken food and excreted in 40 deg. F. water. None of the other aquatic turts did this, as they refused even live food. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:45 pm   

:) Thanks Jen & OT72 - good to have both of your insights. Im guessing the most important thing is consistent temps, which I think I provide. Mine will be outside more this summer once the pond is built. I plan to order the liner this weekend. I will have to monitor my outside water temps to make sure it does not get too warm in the Fla sun. I will provide some shade for my guys. Thanks again 8)
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:59 pm   indoor habitat

Hey, Tampa,
As long as your turts have shade, the water temp in your pond can get pretty warm. Assuming the water depth will be 18" or more I wouldn't worry too much about the water temp. SHADE is the key word here. There must be some over part of the pond or a 'hide' on the bottom for the turts to escape to. The walk around area that I make with all my pond installations has some shady spots or I make a cover over an area so the turts can get out of the water if it gets too warm. You might keep that in mind when you install your pond. This post should be over in'outside ponds'. Sorry , Adam. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Habitat - Indoor