Habitat - Indoor :: Brand New RES mom!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:33 pm   

all submersible heaters i have seen have some sort of a dial to adjust the temp at which it will shut off. the cheap little heaters don't work very well though.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:34 pm   

It's not good every day. If that's all she'll eat now, try mixing it with some pellets..she should eat the pellets then. Every time you feed her, add a little less tuna with the pellets until you don't use any at all. She should eat them then. :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:39 pm   

So what is a good submersible heater? I just spent 30 dollars on the one I bought (that isnt pocket change to a college student, especially when I just spent almost 200 to get the original set up for her).
Pets:
1 year old German Shepard mix- Zoey Anne
4" RES- Isobel
oboe_kellee

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:14 pm   

The only 2 I'm familiar with is Ebo Jager (supposedly unbreakable) and Tronic (the one I use). As long as it works I don't think it matters what the brand name is. Just keep a close eye on the thermometer...just because you set it to 78 doesn't mean that's what it'll heat the water to. i have to turn my heater to 82 to get the water to hit 75.

Try and resell some of that stuff and get a lil money back. :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:21 pm   

Well I didnt really buy anything she didnt need. I bought those larger river rocks, which were very expensive, and then when I got home (it's an hour drive to petsmart) I realized that they left an entire bage of the river racks out of my cart... so then I had to go to the local walmart and shell out some more money for another bag of them. They did sell me some dried crickets that she wants nothing to do with for about 12 dollars.. I got her tank on an incredible sale (28.95) and it's HUGE!
Pets:
4" RES- Isobel
oboe_kellee

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:15 am   

where did you get your tank?
SpnshEyes84

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:28 am   

Petsmart in Lexington Kentucky. That's also where I got Isobel. I've always bought my pet supplies there because they also run the Humane Society for the entire county surrounding Lexington, and I like to support the animal shelters. They take very good care of their animals, you should have seen the case they housed Isobel and one other turtle in, it was spectacular. Most pet stores have poor housing for their animals especially the small ones like hamsters and snakes. This petsmart is wonderful, it makes the hour drive worthwhile.
Pets:
4" RES- Isobel
oboe_kellee

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:01 am   

sounds like you're doing great so far, however i think your tank will be too small soon. river rocks should not be expensive, like 2 or 3 bucks for a small bag. i get 2 bags for $5 in nyc chinatown. you do not need to get more than 2 or 3... you dont want to cover the entire bottom of the tank.

try to return the crickets if you can. also, i've noticed that local pet stores are a complete rip-off for filters and heaters. ebo-jaber are very nice so is the visi-therm stealth heaters. the documentation that came with my visi-them says that it would shut off if accidently moved out of water, something that happens alot to new turt owners - especially when there are alot of water changes (my cheap glass one imploded once). and if you have a low water level, your turt might bump it out of the water. one thing.. there is no light to indicate when its on because the tube is made of black plastic.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:45 pm   

You really think she will out grow the tank I just bough her soon? Maybe I should just upgrade now? Take back the original (oops, that probably isnt the legal thing to do) and buy something bigger. Should I just upgrade to something that will last forever or will she be uncomfortable in such a big tank? Now, I'm worried that I dont have a nice enough home for her.
Pets:
4" RES- Isobel
oboe_kellee

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor