Habitat - Indoor :: Proper Container/Tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:44 am   Proper Container/Tank

I am confused and dissappointed. I got 2 RES's yesterday, very small, about two inches each. They were sold to me in a plastic container about 4 inches tall and 12 inches wide with gravel and hatchling food.
I was told that they will only get 2-3 inches bigger and they don't need anything else to live comfortably. (Container cleaned weekly)
I came home and did research on them and found out that everything Iwas told is completely incorrect!!! :shock:
I will be buying a larger tank, heater and light source for them. But I am appalled that this is happening. They were selling like hot cakes and no one was given proper info on how to best care for them. I asked the sales person if they had a book on raiseing them and she said that they sold out months ago.
I am guessing that they are not giving out all the info needed because they total price for everything would be much higher and :x they wouldn't sell as many so fast.
Coco

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:32 am   

I don't think that any of the vendors practice the law "Truth in advertising", alot of the people that own turtles don't realize that the turtles, if taken care of properly, will live to 35 to 40 years, some of the tortoises live longer than that, if the vendors would say that they wouldn't sell very many turtles, which would probably be good since alot of the turtles will probably die within the first few months, I am glad that you and others like you have done research on the turtle you have.

I myself, didn't know much about turtles until I bought two for my nephews, I did alot of research on them and upon becoming a member of a couple of turtle message boards, I have done alot more research on different kinds of turtles, I will be happy to help with whatever I can. :D

My turtles' names are Shelly and Dragon btw.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:13 am   

yep, it's sad, but it's a good thing you're here! A lot of people wouldn't bother to do the research. Good for you! :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:47 pm   Thank you!

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. I am SO new to this and aim to do the right things by my two little guys.
My husband went to a great pet store today and got a 20 gallon tank, heater, light, floating rock and gravel for the tank so we are ready to set them up properly! I was thrilled because he wasn't as into them as I was initially.
I can't stop thinking about the hundreds of people who are buying these turtles en mass and not being given the proper info on raising them. It makes me so mad that the info they are giving is not even CLOSE to what is necessarry for these guys.
I want to call the mall or the ASPCA and let them know what is happening. I am not sure what to do but I feel like I can't just ignore it. Any suggestons?
Coco

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:09 pm   

Dont bother with the gravel. The little ones may eat it and choke. A few larger rocks are fine if you want :)
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:07 am   

I can't stop thinking about the hundreds of people who are buying these turtles en mass and not being given the proper info on raising them. It makes me so mad that the info they are giving is not even CLOSE to what is necessarry for these guys.
I want to call the mall or the ASPCA and let them know what is happening. I am not sure what to do but I feel like I can't just ignore it. Any suggestons?

Sadly, as long as there is a market for "tiny" turtles, there will be someone willing(sometimes eager) to sell you one, I just wish that they would include the basic necessities of the turtle and a few websites to visit to find out more about the turtle they are getting, but ofcourse, that would probably not be good for business since if people know what it takes to take care of a turtle, they would more than likely not buy it. :? :?
STRAYKINGFISHER

Return to Habitat - Indoor