Habitat - Indoor :: Brackish Water

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:17 pm   Brackish Water

Good evening everyone!

I have a quick question. I've heard that saline baths are good for turtles shells, and I know that Diamondback Terrapins are found in brackish (slightly salty) water in the wild. I also think that RES's in the UK are referred to as red eared terrapins. (i read this somewhere so I might be wrong).

So my question, do you think it's safe/better to keep a RES in Brackish water? What are the pro's and con's of brackish water? Would there be any negative's for this?

I also read that RES are highly adaptive to their living environments and they DO have the ability to live in brackish water, as they are sometimes found in the wild in it.

If anyone has ANY information that would be great. I was just thinking about this and wondering if it would have any ill/positive effects on the health of my little guy. Thanks!!
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
Jeff

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 am   

Not sure about long term effects, and even though they can survive in brackish water it does not mean they prefer it or can thrive in it. Naturally brackish environments fluctuate in their levels of salinity as well, and keeping plants or fish in there will be very challenging.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:11 am   

DBT can live (and prefer) brackish water, cause they are able to "drink it" up to a salinity level of 1.018 SG and secrete the salt through their eyes.Anything above that level (salt water) the DBT is able to live in it, but is not able to "drink" it.So once a week you would need to place him in fresh water so he can drink.
On another note, i also read that RES are "sometimes" found in brackish water.If you want to try it, knock yourself out, but i would give the turtle access to freshwater once a week to make sure he's drinking and not dying of dehydration.
Good luck
jozzep

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 am   

All fresh water turtles are referred to as terrapins in the UK. Terrapins meaning a brackish water turtle was coined by the US
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm   

I don't think a RES was meant to live in brackish water, although given that they're in many parts of the work, some have no doubt adapted to living under such conditions.

I wouldn't keep a RES in what I'd consider to be brackish water on the assumption that the shell will be healthier. That said, some people do use a small amount of aquarium salt in the tank (follow directions on the box if you chose to try it) as a preventive measure to help keep up the water quality/keep bacteria down; this would not hurt your RES. I'd use a salt bath (stronger salt content) only for cases of mild fungus.

Use aquarium salt or kosher salt to be safe.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor