Habitat - Indoor :: Plants in tanks

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:32 am   Plants in tanks

Hello all,

I am wondering if having plants in the tank with the turtle is a good idea? We purchased some plants in pet store that said they were amphibian and reptile safe. Any thoughts?

Aimee
Aimee

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:01 am   

I bought the kind that have suction cups to stick to the side of the tank. They're made for lizards but they hold up pretty well in the water. My guys like to sleep on them
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:52 am   

I've read that it's not a good idea to put fake plants in with the greenies because they may try to eat them, but I have two plastic plants in my tank and I don't seem to have any issues with my guys chomping on them. They may have tried once or twice but I firmly believe that the guys are smart enough to realize that the texture of the fake plants is quite a bit diff than the lettuce and other greens that I give them.

Short answer - I'd say they're fine for your greenies but just keep an eye on them for a little while after you put the plant/s in to see how they react to them.
judo42

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:17 pm   

its really up to you. all i can say is good luck trying to get them to grow cuz your turt will either a.) eat them b.)uproot them c.)well...i dunno...MURDER THEM! Nah, I tried growing some aponogeton and another plant, the aponogeton got attacked for a while but recently honu hasnt touched it and its growing. the other one must be as good as romaine cuz honu always eats the baby shoots. as far as plastic plants are concerned, turtles know the difference between plastic and food. if not theyll just test it and realize they cant bite through it and give up soon after.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:24 pm   

I've always had plastic plants in the tank--they're useful as hiding places as well as places to rest (and as decorations). My turtles would chomp on them a few times, trying to eat them, but quickly give up. Turtles are inquisitive and will try to eat anything, but they're not stupid. Their sense of smell is very keen, and they are attracted to smelly foods. Plastic plants have no smell and they quickly lose interest in trying to eat them. I would be careful in one regard, though, and not get plants that have really small leaves or are needle-like (I think plastic anachris falls into this catagory). That way the chances of tiny pieces breaking off and accidently being ingested is eliminated.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor