Habitat - Indoor :: Calci-sand? Any comments?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:18 am   Calci-sand? Any comments?

Anybody use or have any feedback to provide on the reptile Calci-sand that's sold at pet stores? Wondering if I can use that as a replacement for the gravel in my tank? Thanks for the help.
judo42

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:03 am   Habitat indoor

Most of us have found that trying to maintain a habitat with a bottom substrate is a excercise in futility. Even though you may not feed your turt in that habitat, it still will poop and lose skin through shedding. All that debris falls to the bottom and gets lost in the sand or gravel and there it rots and fouls the water. You cannot plant plants in your habitat that your turt will not demolish or try to eat. Anything that is in his water gets tasted. The only reason turt owners put sand or gravel in their turt habitats is because it it pleasing to their eyes. Anything that is on the bottom, a turt will try to dig under or move with his front claws, usually in his quest for food. If a bit of debris is noted on a clean bottom, that is where the siphon comes in handy. Usually, the debris will cluster on the habitat bottom in certain spots due to the water flow around the habitat and that makes it a snap to siphon out that little pile without losing a gallon of water. Sand is a substrate for Soft-shelled Turtles. They relate to a bottom that they can hide in and owners of those turts take for granted that habitat cleaning is is gonna be tough. If that's your bag with a RES or any other aquatic turtle, you are a glutton for punishment and all I can say is, "Happy cleaning"! George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:57 pm   

Thanks for the input OT. I hadn't seen anything in my readings nor read anything about it in this forum so thought I would ask.

And no....I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment. :)
judo42

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:09 pm   

I saw it in the store too the other day and was wondering about it as well. Thanks for the info!!
tissigirl

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:19 pm   

I think it would be better to stick with river rocks larger than the head. You don't need a lot of them; turts like to push them around yet can't eat them, they're not that hard to clean, and they can add to the look of the tank.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm   

Thanks for your input everyone. Almost like a wishing well in here....ask a question and it SHALL be answered! :D
judo42

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:39 pm   

If this is a wishing well.....I wish for a 150 gallon tank and all the necessities and perks for my turtle! LOL
tissigirl

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:54 pm   

I second that wish :lol: :lol:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Return to Habitat - Indoor