Habitat - Indoor :: indoor turtles having temporary outdoor area....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:29 pm   indoor turtles having temporary outdoor area....

I am trying to figure out how to set up an outdoor area for my turtle. I purchased an infant pool to set up, and I figured I will get some rocks for him to bask on. My problem is that I live in a second floor apartment and have a small balcony. The pool will fit fine (that's why I got such a small one), but I am concerned about the water in the pool. I don't want to leave the water outside all the time because it will get dirty and be perfect breeding for mosquitoes. But being on the second floor I can't exactly dump it out and refill it everytime.
Does anyone have any suggestions??
tissigirl

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:51 pm   

Other than a bucket, no, sorry :?
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:28 pm   

I used a kiddy pool for my turtle last summer, and it was a pain to keep dumping the water. To extend the length of time between dumpings, I would cover the water with a blue plastic tarp at night (I brought him in at night) and was really careful to net out any crud that wound up in it. (Covering it will help keep the mosquitoes away as well.) I secured the tarp with a really long bungee cord around the outer rim. I also did partial water changes to freshen the water. But I still wound up basically doing a water change every 3-4 days or so.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm   

Thanks for the tarp idea. I may just take him outside a few days a week, so that may help the water situation. It's too bad they don't make those glad wrap thingys that have the elastic on them in gigantic sizes! LOL
tissigirl

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:05 pm   

This is my outside "Turtle" pond :lol: :lol:

STRAYKINGFISHER

Return to Habitat - Indoor