Habitat - Indoor :: Misc. Tank Questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:55 pm   Misc. Tank Questions

i just purchased a large tank for my turtles that claims it was built specifically for them. It features a panel on the side that only goes halfway up the tank so that you can hang a filter over the side. The instructions that came with the tank recommend the Whisper 40, which I purchased, but am very dissapointed with. The filter doesn't seem to clean the whole tank, there is still waste all over the floor on the far side (it's a little over 3ft long). So, that said -

Should I add another filter on the other side?
How often should I change the "bio-bag"?
When will the "biological cycle" be complete and the water stop getting so cloudy? And will the introduction of new food change this cycle?

Oh yeah, I just cleaned the entire cage and one of the turts is freaking out swimming like a mad man. Should I be worried about this behavior?

Sorry if these seem like crazy questions, guess I'm just a over protective parent. Just want my guys to be healthy and happy. Thanks for your help,

-Bobby
rkolling

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:14 pm   

you're going to be sorry you bought that for a couple of reasons....that big hole in the side makes the tank weaker and more likely to break, also, at some point, you're going to want to fill 'er up...and you won't be able to cus it's got a hole in the side. I've heard nothing but bad things about those tanks..sorry :(
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:52 pm   

Since you just bought the tank, is it possible to return/swap it for another? I've heard the Whisper filters can be OK in smaller tanks. (How many gallons is the one you bought?) But turtles are messier than fish (which is what most filters were created for). You want a filter rated for at least 3X the size of your tank. No filter, however, is going to clean all the crap off the bottom. But it does sound like you need a more powerful filter or at least an additional one to keep the tank cleaner.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:15 pm   

I believe the biggest size for those "naturally turtle" tanks are 20 gallons? Someone, please correct me if i'm wrong. How big is your turt? I also would not recommend that tank, sorry. Stick around here and you will learn a ton! Oh, and welcome to the forum! 8)
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Return to Habitat - Indoor