Habitat - Indoor :: What new filter should i get

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:41 pm   What new filter should i get

im upgrading to a new setup from a fluval 2 in a 10 gal tank to a larger tank for my two RES. my filter now used to work fine but now my turtles are bigger and it doesnt clean as well. what kind/brand of filter should i get for a 20 gallon tank so my water is clearest and i dont have to clean it that often?
chairguru22

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:45 pm   

im also considering an outer filter.. which outer one should i begin to look at?
chairguru22

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:21 pm   

Welcome. How big are your RES? By "outer" do you mean a canister filter? If so, the ones I can think of would be too powerful for a 20-gallon tank. (But if you were to go with a bigger tank...)

The one 20-gallon tank I'm using has a Fluval 2+ in it, which is not adequate. (And you did say you have a Fluval 2 in a 10-gallon.)

Others will no doubt have their recommendations (I'd first recommend that bigger tank), but I've heard some positive things about Whispers and Aqua-Clears. Perhaps if you asked about specific brands in the Equipment Forum, you'd get a better response.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:53 pm   

I have a Penguin 150 bio wheel power filter by marineland for a 30 gall. tank filters 150 gall. of water per hour it is an outside canister it costed 35.99 plus tax Ive only had it for about a week and it seems to be doing a good job I only have 1 very tiny turtle (for now) in a 30 gall. tank feed in a seperate tank bowl helps alot too. the tank is pretty much filled to the top, this filters water level has to be high to prime it up so for now this all is really great I have big plans for an inside pond using a kiddie pool or something like a pre made pool that one room in my home has a perfect corner that would look good if planned and planted just right so im getting ideas from here for basking docks made with pvc pipe land area for nesting coverings and filtering etc when my brain gets totally filled up I will gather the needed stuff and attempt an eye catching functunal easy cleaning kinda turtle sancutary wish me luck :mrgreen:
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:13 pm   

which one (outer filter) is the most quiet? im looking for one that doesnt make any noticable noise at all. internal filters make no noise but i think its more of a hassle to clean and it clutters the inside of the tank and i want one thats more powerful.
chairguru22

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:39 pm   

I think that just about any filter will make some kind of humming sound, the way I see it, the bigger you go the more noise you will hear.

I will be waiting on people who have a filter bigger than a cascade type one, I am planning to upgrade someday soon. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:33 pm   

Different filters have their supporters, and what one person thinks is quiet, another may not. The quietest canister filters are reputed to be Eheims, but you will pay for that (they're the most expensive). I'm using a Filstar XP3 which is good for the money. Other popular canisters include Magnums and Fluvals. You'll need a tank that's bigger than 20 gallons if you want to put a good canister filter in it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:08 pm   

I have The Filstar XP line cannister filter. Love it, love it , love it!! The only time i ever hear a noise out of it is when I prime it wrong! I don't know if i've been lucky or what. But it works great for me. Let us know what you choose. 8)
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Return to Habitat - Indoor