Habitat - Indoor :: BASKING SPOT

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:08 pm   BASKING SPOT

I was reading some of the topics and noticed one that had a link to pet smart and it has a basking platform w/ 4 suction cups: i had one of those for a couple of months but i removed it when my largest female res started to "eat" it- it is made of a hard styrofoam type material and i was afraid it would it would be detremental to their healh.it had gotten to half of its original size.
I found a replacement made of hard plastic with a ramp and 3 suction cups on the end of it and they seem to love it.
My family includes:wife,2 grown kids,4res,2 russians,2 sulcatas,3 boxies,1 alligator snapper,1 soft shell and 1 mud
MDOLLAR

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:24 pm   

I had the same problem. I got one of those green ramps instead but my guys are picky and refused to use it. Even so, it was nowhere near big enough for them both to use at the same time.

I found that making sure there is cuttlebone in the tank at all times helped. They chew on that now, and the dock has gone uneaten.

I love those zoo med docks, but there are a few problems - 1) sometimes cuttlebone doesnt solve the prob and they keep eating the dock 2) They just don't make them big enough. I don't know what I'm going to use when my turts are 8 or 9 inches each. 3) Some of them tend to fall apart after only a month or so of use.

If you happen to come across anything else, please let me know :)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:26 pm   

just curious, which basking platform is it?
my res has begun chewing on his also, made of styrofoam, seems something alot of them r doing lately
getting ready to switch him to a bigger tank, trying to decide on filter also,(if any one has an opinion on filters, i would appreciate it) but the basking thing is now a problem, so i guess basically he's gonna end up with a whole new set-up, lol i think he's slightly spoiled thanks :)
resowner33

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:29 pm   i dont seem to have that problem

when i had my turtle she didnt eat the dock or anything. she loved to bask on it. too dose this mean she wa always full. Was i over feding her? I didnt think i was.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:06 pm   

there are some gr8 pic. on basking areas that were "invented" by the turtle owner one I like really well is made of pvc pipe for the framing and a clean river rock for the basking platform, theres also one covered with the astro turf stuff then another was built on top of the tank giving the turtle free swim of the whole tank, some really neat ideas here 8) also there are post on filters I hope this forum helps you find what you are looking for. it has giving me some neat ideas and knowledge. I dont remember where all the pictures and post are at that I am referring too but I'm sure the owners will guide you to the right post/stickys my basking area right now is pretty simple its a piece of clean drift wood I tied it to a rod across the top of my tank to keep it stable after all dritwood drifts but my light doesnt follow it lol. (I used fishing line to tie it with and the rod is actually a small section from an out door bird feeder)

the last few days my drift wood is showing the growth of green on it and slimmy looking will this hurt the turt..... this week end I will be constucting the pvc/river rock form but Im thinking water and light will cause some green and slim no matter what I use and its safe right ?
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:13 pm   

i think the algae on the driftwood is safe and inevitable. i don't use driftwood, but i think marisa does and has algae on it. you can probably scrub it clean or wipe it off but it'll be back in a 2 weeks.

i'm gonna be building one of those pvc platforms soon. i'm sure it's bound to get algae on it too... its just so hard to avoid it but should be easier to clean
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:51 pm   

I am a big fan of the PVC, was very easy to do, and was less than $10 including the rock I got from the local garden supply place. Home Depot for the PVC, and just used a hacksaw to cut it. You need to make sure if you do do this, that you let water into the pvc otherwise the T's and 90's seal soo tight that it will actually float in your tank. No need to use any of that PVC glue or anything either.

Mike
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:11 pm   

I think Soopermum is the one with the basking area made of PVC pipe with slate on top, and it does look great.

I don't use driftwood, I use corkbark and love the way it looks--a 30-inch-long, 10-inch wide curl arrived just yesterday. I'm in the process of sawing it down into a bigger and smaller piece for two tanks.

The corkbark in my RES's tank now has been in there since Feb. '04 and has lasted well, even though corkbark isn't as sturdy as some other materials used for basking areas. And the edge that dips into the water where my turtle climbs on it has gotten some algae on it. It's not affecting my turtle or his ability to climb on it, so I generally just leave it. Once in a while I will take a toothbrush and gently clean it, rinse it and bake it in the oven for a bit to dry it off, but that's it.

The algae is caused by the light, heat and nutrients in the water. I think it's inevitable no matter what you do.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:46 pm   

Soopermum may have a PVC platform, but I do as well, I posted pics previously when someone asked for pics of tank setups. :D
Reyna - 2.25"
Orion - 2.25"

Were 1.3" and 1.4" when I got them on May 12, 2005
therizman1

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 pm   

To keep a pvc platform from floating, all you need is some small holes drilled into the underside of the tubes, as you fill your tank, it fills the platform... and of course the 50 lb slate rock that my group basks on helps a bit too...

There are a few of us on the board that have pvc platforms.

I know that Old Turtle copied my hubby's design, and therizman has one also, I am not sure who else
soopermum62

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:33 pm   

Ah--they're more popular than I thought. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:49 pm   Indoors

Yeah, I built two, one for each pond. Got a 16 in. square by 1 in. thick stepping stone on top of each and grey slate slabs on top of them. All 7 turts stack and bask, sometimes 3 deep. Algae forms on the PVC but I've seen the Japanese Black Trapdoor snails eating it off so I don't worry about it. They both straddle the Pond Master filters so nicely and the fish and turts use it for shade. I hope Supermum has posted her habitat pics in the Picture Forum. I copied them for my ponds and they are ideal.
George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Habitat - Indoor