Habitat - Indoor :: Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:57 am   Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

Hello. I have had a issue with my turtles basking area. I put screening on all four sides, as shown in the picture. While I seemed to have no issues with it before, my red ear slider has decided to pick up climbing as a hobby. While I'm not to worried about her escaping (the screen is sturdy and the top is closed so she can't climb out) I am worried about her falling on her back and getting stuck. Any suggestions on a different material to use or how to get her to stop climbing. Please help I'm worried about leaving her alone now.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1466513433757.jpg
This is similar to the baskin for area. The new one I made was built from pvc pipe and taller.
OfalseprophetO

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:28 pm   Re: Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

Is this window screen? You can use acrylic (cheaper than plexiglas and can be found/cut to size at local hardware stores) though the turtle might still flip over if constantly climbing. I'd also remove the gravel.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 pm   Re: Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

Yes it's window screen. I was going to replace it with the plexiglass or acrylic.
OfalseprophetO

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 pm   Re: Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

And why remove the gravel? Its the larger stones so she can't eat it, just curious
OfalseprophetO

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 am   Re: Help!!!! Climbing turtles!

From the picture, it looks like she could still eat it. Gravel/rocks also foul up the water quicker and trap more waste.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor