Habitat - Indoor :: Dirty Cloudy Tank Problems

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 pm   Dirty Cloudy Tank Problems

Hey guys, I need some help. I have two baby res about 2 in each in a 10 gal tank filled halfway with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 filter. Inside I have some gravel, one fake plant, and the dock. I'm having some bad luck keeping the tank clean. I will add a picture to this post. I've had the tank for about a month now and it seems like I cannot establish any good bacteria. when I first started, I did 25% water changes, about two or three times a week and it did not help. I did a 100% water change and after I turned the filter back on the water was cloudy in a few hours. I've been doing 10-20% water changes two to three times a week again and recently changed the filter and added some good bacteria from Tetra SafeStart. Its been a week and no real change. The water is so bad I cannot see through it at all. I tested for ammonia and ph and both have high levels. What do you guys suggest? Clean the entire tank again and add some more Tetra SS? or just sit and wait?
I added a picture as an attachment. Or here is a link
Attachments
tank picture copy.jpg
tank pic
cowabunga1931

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:11 am   Re: Dirty Cloudy Tank Problems

If you're still picking up ammonia, you aren't cycled. Are you using well water or city water? If you are using city water, it will have chlorine or chloramine in it, and that is killing whatever nitrifying bacteria you're creating before it has a chance to establish. A quick solution is to use a turtle safe dechlorinator (reptisafe is available at most major pet stores) to treat your water before adding it to the tank. You really shouldn't need any kind of store bought bacteria - the turtle's will make enough waste to cycle the tank.

Just a heads up, that tank is too small for two turtles - time to start looking for an upgrade.
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:55 pm   Re: Dirty Cloudy Tank Problems

I have city water but I use reptisafe to dechlorinate the water before I put it in.
cowabunga1931

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:46 am   Re: Dirty Cloudy Tank Problems

If it isn't the chlorine killing the bacteria, then you may just have a water volume problem and/or under filtration problem. Two turtles create a lot of waste, and you have them in five gallons of water. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons per inch, and you already have four inches and growing. I'm not very familiar with that filter, but it may be too limited in bio capacity, i.e. the bio media has maxed out it's bacteria capacity but still isn't keeping up with the bio load.

You should find out when your local petsmart or petco has a $1 per gallon sale (I think petco might be doing one right now actually) and get a 40gal tank, OR get a big rubbermaid tub and spend some money on a bigger filter.
OtisDriftwood

Return to Habitat - Indoor