Habitat - Indoor :: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 pm   Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

I'm wondering where the best area to add Purigen to my filter. There is a large sponge in the initial stage of the filter, but could be room to add if the bag is small, The chamber above contains carbon pellets (although it's not full). I took photos to hopefully help out. Thanks in advance for any help. I have three small RES's in a 75 Gal tank and had added some African driftwood which is leeching. I've bleached, boiled and soaked the wood, but heard people get good results clearing the water with Purigen. I can live with the tannins, but would prefer the pristine water. Also, why is it bad to do 100% water changes? The gravel (I know, I know, but I love it) is so stinking nasty after 5-6 days and I can't stand to leave them in a sewer. I really need a gravel vacuum, but would still freak out if it doesn't clean the gravel as well as scrubbing it.
Lori Kelso

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 am   Re: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

Placement suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145#p288938

Purigin and carbon will help with the tannins. You can do 100% changes, just make sure you preserve the bio media. Gravel traps a lot of waste and is a possible impaction hazard. Go with either sand or a bare bottom.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:48 pm   Re: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

Wow, I thought sand bottom was bad for them because they would eat it. Thanks for the info. I got river rocks with the ZooMed turtle tank I purchased, and thought that was what I should use.
I recently picked up some large rocks from the beach and have boiled them in water with a capful of bleach twice, for a couple of hours each time. I soaked them overnight with 10 mils of dechlorinator in about 3-4 falsified water. I've scrubbed them between each treatment and have soaked them all day today changing to fresh water after about two hours, multiple times today. Do you think it will be safe to use them in the tank, or should I continue to soak them for a much longer period of time?
Attachments
IMG_3553.JPG
Lori Kelso

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:35 am   Re: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

What's the white stuff? It should be fine with all the cleaning you've done.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:20 pm   Re: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

steve wrote:What's the white stuff? It should be fine with all the cleaning you've done.

White stuff is leftover oyster shells that I couldn't break off with a putty knife. I was able to get all but the most deeply imbedded portions off, and have paid particular attention to them when scrubbing. Thanks so much for the help you've provided. It's great to have a place to ask questions where I can receive knowledgeable answers I can have confidence in.
Since my turtles are so small yet, and the river rocks are pretty large, I'm going to have to wait a short time to replace their substrate, but will definitely take your advice and replace it with a sand bottom. Thanks again, Steve! Off to research what kind of sand to buy, and how to clean it.
Lori Kelso

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:47 pm   Re: Purigen use in Penn Plax in tank filter

You're very much welcome! To give you a heads start, check out pool filter sand :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor