Habitat - Indoor :: Need advice on basking platform

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:09 pm   Need advice on basking platform

I have 2 RES that I "rescued" from a friend. Her parents had the turtles in a 10 gallon tank with barely any water and only one rock, resulting in the turtles sitting on top of each other. Anyways, I have 4 cats that are mildly interested in the turtles. I want to put more water in the tank and give them a better basking situation than they have right now, but there seems to be barely any products. We have tried both medium and large Turtle Docks, which were a joke. They look like they could barely hold a mouse up. I don't see how people use them. I want to use the Turtle Topper, but that would mean taking the lid off of the tank. Is there a way to cut the lid so we could have both the topper and a lid? I am far too afraid the have no lid on the tank, because my cats would torture the turtles. :mrgreen:
cassrae702

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:49 am   Re: Need advice on basking platform

Hi, how big is the tank and big are the turtles? With smaller tanks, resin platforms are great. For larger tanks/platforms, I would suggest a pvc/tile setup which are easy to make, cheap, and will last forever. As for the tank top/cover, your turtles need uvb and basking lamp, which tops usually obstruct. I've seen pretty nice covers made from wire shelving.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:55 am   Re: Need advice on basking platform

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8809
I've used this platform for years. It holds the weight of turtles very well while giving more swimming space because it doesn't need to stand on anything. The cats might not be a problem because my turtles would just bite them and they would leave them alone after that. They just liked to watch them or follow them around. And turtles will sit on top of each other no matter how big the platform is. My smaller turtle would always sit on his sister. :mrgreen: :msgreen:
2 cats: Momiji and Kenzie
1 RES: Mikey
moonfaerie

Return to Habitat - Indoor