Habitat - Indoor :: Cloudy water ....

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:21 am   Cloudy water ....

I did a full clean of my tank about 2 weeks ago . Now the water is very cloudy to where I can barely see in there . I have the turtle clean 511 canister filter and I use reptisafe also . I am new to owning a turtle so any info is much appreciated . I have 2 res in a 40 gallon tank filled up a little over half way
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Starting out with a nice tank. In the near future you will need a larger setup , turtles grow fast. Maybe two separate tanks if both are males... Filter is a two stage rated for 60 gallons that's ok for now , Carbon and bio something. Turtle tanks need twice to three times cleaning power , there messy. Hopefully you used tank water to clean filter , tap would kill off any good bacteria. Full change is like you starting from the beginning again. Small tanks need weekly , bi weekly and sometimes daily changes when a problem exist. Today do a 50% change and don't touch the filter . Let it build up good bacteria. And again tomorrow if needed (50% to 25%) . Your tank wants to cycle. This is only my opinion. That's where more homework comes in for you. A bare tank is great for RES's do to the fact they just tear everything up but not many places for good bacteria to attach. That's where your filter comes into play more. A few 50%/25% water changes you should be ok and skip the filter for now , let it build up some good bacteria. Watch filter when dirty use tank water to clean it. That will keep your good bacteria alive. Hope you meet up with Steve he's good on filter media advice.

With a small tank I would feed them in a separate bowl outside the tank ( use about an inch tank water) and let them poop there to. Normally they poo after eating. This will help the water condition.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:57 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Ok thanks bro . I did a 50% water change today and I did clean the filter with tap but now I know for future . How do you know when the filter is dirty without shutting it off and empty filter ?
I tried feeding them in separate bowls but they for some reason won't eat . I was also informed having feeder guppies in with them would help so I put about 15 in tank . Was tha ok ?
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:37 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

As far as the filter watch the flow rate and get on a regular maintenance schedule , also sound will tell you what's going on. In time it will come to you.
Some say no to the fish. I say yes , guppies are ok less fatty than goldfish , also rosy reds are ok. My opinion , like the fact that the turtle will be able to hunt and get exercise chasing them. Also found my RES sometimes plays with them to keep himself alert. Times he watches them from basking dock , head moving left to right just watching them. Studying them? I keep a separate 70 gallon tank for feeders and breed them much healthier than store feeders. Also grow my own plants there to. Anything to save money , turtle care , not cheap.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:35 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Ya I notice they chase the guppies and watch them also . When I walk in room the turtles jump right off basking area . Probably cause I only had them about a month and not use to me . I figured I would clean filter once a week and do like 1/2 water change every 2 weeks and then a full clean empty whole tank , clean all rocks and basking area like every 2-3 months . Does that sound good
Paulie494

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:00 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Sound's like a plan ! You have a good test kit , not the paper ones , those are not accurate. You can always tweak your maintenance down the road if needed. We all started somewhere...for me 30 years with turtles ... I'm still learning.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 am   Re: Cloudy water ....

Not enough water for the amount/size of turtles basically. The 511 is not a great filter either, it's just overwhelmed in your situation. How long have you had your setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:00 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Hey Steve . I got the setup 2 days before xmas for my son .
Paulie494

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm   Re: Cloudy water ....

Question Paulie ,

On this and under other topics you talk about the 40 gallon half full. Most respond by saying to small , as a beginner we all have to start somewhere BUT you say you have a 100 gallon in the garage. Remember 1' to 10 gallons. Even if your friends are 2.5" each a 100 gallon half full is minimum. These guys grow fast , hope now they are in the larger tank. And then that will get small soon.

Was thinking on filter , if using fine or polishing pads get rid of them , use medium / regular pads. People think fine better but they just clog up faster and kills the filter flow also makes more work for you having to clean all the time. Say they are in that 100 gallon half full then you should be looking for a different / better filter. That's 50 gallons water 2-3x's more power for turtles you are looking at a pump rated say for a 150 gallons min ! I would get even bigger say rated 200 gallons.

Turtle's have high requirement's to be healthy and happy. I and only for me start a tank out at the adult size , saves down the road.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor