Habitat - Indoor :: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 am   I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Hi all!
The turtle was in a small bucket with just an inch or so water for like a year!
I took him with me and put him in an old aquarium we still had..I also put in a small filter and heater. I need a better filter because this one does not do an amazing job.
But would you please look at my set up and tell me what needs to be changed or improved?
I have never before looked after a turtle. I know I need like a special light I guess? but I dont know exactly which one. for now I have put him in the sun for a few minutes the last two days. (he seems to enjoy it)
He was very shy the first day..and afraid..and I could (can) see he does not swim yet as a turtle who has always been in deep water..but he is doing way better than in the bucket.
Attachments
17199066_10154642647662772_1827096823_n.jpg
17199066_10154642647662772_1827096823_n.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 17714 times
17198455_10154642647632772_1720316164_n.jpg
17198455_10154642647632772_1720316164_n.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 17714 times
Renate

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

That's him / her in bottom left can't really see. Really small ? Over a year now ? Glad to see it out that bucket ! That's what a ten gallon tank? Turtles can and will cost you some. Take the time and read some category's on this forum along with the stickies right before the threads , good advise / info. Do your homework ! Gives you time to think about a budget. Like you will need a UVB bulb that can be from $15 - $150 just for it. That a look here to : http://www.redearslider.com/startup.html
Will be a good read.
1) UVB and UVA bulb over the basking area . He has to warm up and dry off to be healthy !
2) two thermometers one for water & one for basking area ( IR's are the best and does all )
3) It's a long list.....this forum has list already posted / good info with the stickys / and lots of opinions from years of experience .

Will take some homework on your part , to be a good parent. My turtles are in my will due to how long they can live !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Yeah..its seems to be quite a job to look after him.
We took him so we could find someone who would be able to properly look after him (or her)..but I actually really like him. I would love to give him a nice place to live. But the lights are so expensive here (I live in turkey) that my husband was almost getting a heart attack..
I will try to find something that is within our budget. He has the possibility to come and get dry on that rock..but he does not go onto it. Maybe because there is no light yet?

I will read some more into it. Its hard to understand it all in once :)
Renate

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

http://www.petburada.com/jbl-reptil-day ... 1-10-B.jpg

is this one enough? it says it heats..has uva and gives daylight...its the only affordable one I could find..
Renate

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

That link is just for heat , ok , BUT if Turkey has regular incandescent bulbs use that for heat , cheaper. Just don't let it get splashed on it will break.

Concentrate on the UVB ! I tell people I have been doing this for thirty years but it's really over 55 years since I was 6 years old. Back then we did not have all this High Tec ... UVB was putting him / her out in the sun daily a couple of hours , worked for us ! Just make sure has a spot to get in shade if needed to cool up a little.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Ok...so If I put him out in the sun...do I put him just on a dry place or does he need to be in some water too? I have a small balcony on one side of the house that has full sun most of the day. I can put him there... but dont know how to make a set up for that.

so normal bulbs for heat..how many watt?

we had another aquarium that is bigger (30 gallons I think)..I cleaned it..and it has a home made filter system. we need to buy some stuff to fill the filter but hopefully we will have it running within a few days. I will also make him a dry island then with a good lamp hopefully.

I just hope he is healthy..I will try to make him as comfortable as possible. and hopefully if I have the right lights he will go on the dry place..because he does not go on it now. He just swims or he just puts his head outside of the water while leaning on a rock. but he does not come out fully.
Attachments
17142107_10154643553972772_1915120034_o.jpg
Renate

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:16 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

http://www.hepsiburada.com/exo-terra-ko ... 702-PT2186

Could you take a look if this is the right one? it says 5.0 uvb they also have 2.0 but I guess I have read that a turtle needs 5.0 right?
Also..if I buy this one...I still need a normal bulb for the heat right?
sorry for all the questions :) thanks so much!
Renate

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Be very careful if you use a balcony. They are much better at climbing, digging, and escaping than you think. Yes, that bulb will work but also use a good-brand pellet to make sure your turtle get the proper vitamins.

As for how much heat/wattage, you will need to take measurements to see. You don't want the bulb too close to the turtle or water, which reminds me that you should have your electrical equipment plugged into a GFCI outlet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:53 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

1) Use something like a plastic storage tote large enough he can't get out of ! Dollar store /Walmart/ somewhere like those stores in Turkey. Use about 2 gallons tank water A MUST so he don't over heat. Put a rock / brick in so he get out the water. Also a MUST cover part with anything so he can have shade to regulate his temperature. Use this time to clean his tank and add with treated water , maintenance time.

2) Incandescent 60 watt for a 10-30 gallon at about 12"-14" will be good for the heat. This is were you need the thermometer. Water temp should be 78 and basking area 10* more around 88*-90* for health. NOTE : do not use a CFL or LED for heat... A regular incandescent or a real turtle bulb 50-75 watt ( cost more) and adjust height to get the temperature correct. You need to get now one good fixture for the heat bulb ( porcelain socket ) plastic will melt in time , safety first ! Safety note: does your home have a GFCI if NOT get one for the tank!

3) 5.0 UVB bulb good that 100 is a little big a 75 would be better. If all you can get make sure you read box on the distance to put it at. ( see the instructions in box all UVB's come with them ) ! Don't want to give a sunburn and or burn his eyes.

NOTE : If you get the UVB you don't have to put him outside for sun. If NO UVB to save money follow what I recommend in #1. And if you do get UVB bulb DO NOT put it on a glass top , the UVB rays will not penetrate it. For the UVB if you have an old desk lamp with one of those swinging arms it works great for now to save money.

4) Get those light fixtures with a shade on them so you don't light up the room.

5) Turtles are skittish , on the basking area cover for now with cardboard or a book two of the three sides on the outside. This will make him feel safer and bask! Always in the tank to offer hiding places to so he don't stress out , you are a big monster to his size. Haha. But in time he will be a great pet / child and get use to you.

Hope I making myself somewhat clear.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:40 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

thanks for your answers..

I did some shopping on ebay.. I dont know about the quality..but price wise it is way cheaper than buying here. So I bought some bulbs, a therometer for the basking area and a bulb holder. Hopefully it will arrive soon.
The weather isnt sunny today and it will be raining the rest of the week..so no sun bathing anymore for him. I did put a normal light in the corner that shines on his rock. I saw him already there a few times (though whenever he sees us he goes back in the water :)

My husband is going to make him a basking area asap. Will show the results when its done.
Renate

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:43 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Renate

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Good , just make sure you put it at the correct distance as I stated in #3 on other post !
As far as going back in that's normal , re read #5 try that. It may take a while for him to get use to you two.
You can adjust how both of you enter the room and move around slower by him to help him adjust to his home feel less skittish.

Won't be able to tell sex for a few years yet BUT how about a unisex name , that's the safe way if boy or girl. Instead of training him /her to another name down the road ? Would be better than saying Hey You feeding time.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Yeah I covered the glass sides of his basking area so if he is in that corner he wont be able to see us coming or sitting.. havent seen him using it anymore though.

Yeah I will have to find a name for him...first I have to get his 'home' ready and perfect..then I will sit down and think about the name :P

As I said we are busy with the new aquarium for him.. my husband bought some stuff but couldn't find the exact same materials as I saw on pictures I googled. This is a a bit more softer and flexible..but I guess it will do its job. I cant get the climb area lower though...can he get on it like this?

I will include a new picture..hopefully it looks as it should so far... Any ideas what else I can put in the filter? same stuff as for fish? or just more fiber? Basking area is not finished yet..it needs a fence like something so he cant climbed out of it.
Attachments
17230040_10154646891572772_1887694418_o.jpg
17200517_10154646890707772_1053878575_o.jpg
Renate

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:30 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

steve wrote:Be very careful if you use a balcony. They are much better at climbing, digging, and escaping than you think. Yes, that bulb will work but also use a good-brand pellet to make sure your turtle get the proper vitamins.

As for how much heat/wattage, you will need to take measurements to see. You don't want the bulb too close to the turtle or water, which reminds me that you should have your electrical equipment plugged into a GFCI outlet.

thanks to you too by the way! I dont think he would be able to climb off that balcony...the walls are just cement and pretty high (well for a turtle) so he wouldn't be able to get off it. But he was in a plastic box anyway.

Any recommendations on good pellet food? I dont know if they have the same brands here ofcourse..but maybe I can choose based on ingredients etc.
Renate

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:04 pm   Re: I rescued a turtle and I need some help!

Yes think it will work for now. Turtles are very curious , he's just trying to figure out what you did around basking area but he will feel safe and start to use it. Young turtles don't like a lot of changes but they do come around in time. New basking area should hold his weight but as he grows will have to brace it up. How about some PVC and put it as a stand under it or hang over tanks rim ? Online has videos on DIY basking areas. Turtles will surprise you on how well they climb so don't make that fence for the dock something he can use as a ladder !
Filter : how about some purigen , carbon , bio rings more for a turtles than a fish setup.

When it's time for your next upgrade I (me) would cut that custom made in tank filter out carefully for more room and have a hang on filter or a canister filter completely out the tank. That's down the road , will save you some money. Just an idea.
litefoot

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor