Habitat - Indoor :: Overall help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 pm   Re: Overall help

Non-viable correct !

Fiuval U4 ? I never had one but ... some say it just OK. There rating is for 35-65 gallon tank. One thing I always heard is that they have a tendency to clog easy making more work for you. Small amount of media : 2 foam pads , 2 poly cartridges and some rings. Goes all in tank that takes up good swimming space. If it works use it for now.
Water weight if half full that's 20 x8.34=166.8 pounds alone , do you have a strong coffee table or dresser? So you could hold off on a stand for now. If ever fill it full that's 333.6 pounds ! Yes it adds up. My setup weight's at 1550 pounds then you have to worry about floor support if in a raised house.
I use white vinegar to clean everything old school. If you use soap rinse more than normal. Also if glass will clean easy but if plastic / acrylic it will scratch easy.

Being used test if water tight outside first don't find out in your home!!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm   Re: Overall help

Ok so on the floor for the time being once I get cleaning it and stuff. I'll use white vinegar only, and the glass is glass, I'll use 2 or 3 of my microfibre cloths, they do well on glass.

I'll use the filter that came with it for the time being along with this little one that came with the kit, and just clean more often like every 2 or 3 days. I'll be grabbing a water test kit on Friday for sure.

Now this little filter that came with the kit I bought, Link keeps rubbing her/his shell on it almost like trying to scratch it's back - is this normal? Link also does it by getting under the basking spot and rubbing the top of the shell - makes me wonder if it's doing this "shedding" thing and it's itchy? When Link was basking today I did look closely at the shell and didn't see anything abnormal (I've been reading many posts on this site). Should I take Link out and lightly rub the shell or something? It is solid and not soft so I'm super confused right now.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 pm   Re: Overall help

You could rub his shell gently maybe a little algae but the pictures show to me no sighs of shedding. And when a turtle does they do it well without our help when healthy.
He may just be a little clumsy now but will get his sea legs back soon. Remember he never had water to swim in before this is a new home to him.
Let him be a turtle getting the feel of the tank. Observe and all will be good.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 pm   Re: Overall help

You can dilute some bleach to clean that tank, but make sure it's rinsed very well and left to air dry for a while. Any used filter you get, you should toss out the media/pads and replace it with new ones.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 am   Re: Overall help

I hadn't thought of that with the filter. I will make sure to take it apart and give it a good cleaning along with getting new media/pads. Thank you for that I'd have not done so.

I'm not sure I'll use bleach or soap. I think I'll stick with vinegar and micro-fiber cloths and allow it to air dry. I'll make sure before I start cleaning that it's water tight, no sense cleaning it if it won't hold water.

Yet another question: do I leave the light on all the time? (not the basking one) or should I turn lights out for the night and leave it dark so Link can sleep? I know they require basking light and a "daylight" light but is that 24/7? How would they sleep when it's light all the time? I would think in the wild they are in the dark at night so they would be so at a home setting as well?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:04 pm   Re: Overall help

You'd want all of the lights off at night.
1. It simulates real world night time.
2. Less algae in the tank from excess light.

Definitely don't use soap but bleach is 100% safe to use if you follow what Steve said.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm   Re: Overall help

Rylanda in all this I forgot one big thing! Safety! We are talking about water and electricity. See were you are to place the tank in your new home has a wall receptacle with a ground fault interrupter circuit (GFIC). If not could add one , safety, or maybe you have a power strip with a GFIC and use that.

I use a timer for all lights and all go off at night for a day / night cycle.

Going to wait until in new house or will you set up now.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:14 pm   Re: Overall help

I think I'm going to wait till I move to set up the new things. I am moving "home" from where I am at right now and the house is newly rewired, new plumbing, totally renovated so there will be GFIC all over and I also have surge protectors and stuff, I will make sure everything is safe and secure for Link and his new home.

It's going to take me time to clean this new/used filter, get new media/pads for it, also clean the tank etc. so I thought it'd be best to wait until I make the move. Link is happy where he is at right now and I don't want to set up the new stuff, stress Link out then make the move and stress Link all over again.

I'll also be getting timers for the lights which is a fantastic idea.

This move is sudden but it's going to be a happy move! I think Link will be much happier as well!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm   Re: Overall help

Doing good !

They make some timers with ONE plug in and with two timers you could have each light go out at different times , that works. I would get one timer that has TWO plugin's so both UVA and UVB come off/on at same time that works to. Would save some money. You can find a good one (with TWO plugin's) for about $7 at Walmart.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 pm   Re: Overall help

I will find one for sure as soon as I make the move. It's going to be a lot better for myself and Link, we might even be able to upgrade Link's living arrangement quicker than I thought!!!

I took all the gravel out and she now has a bare bottom tank. Poor Link has been through so much in a short time, she is seeming a bit confused but I LIKE it much better without the gravel and you were right, what a mess the gravel made YUCK. I had a flat rock, washed it with water very well, let it dry then put it on the bottom because Link likes to stand on her back legs and look around and the bare bottom tank had her slipping.

I just used water, micro-fiber cloths to clean the tank no soap or anything. When I make the move and set up the 40 gallon tank it will be washed outside and tested for leaks etc. Until I move I will read the instructions for that other filter (found them online) and take it apart as shown, clean it, let it dry and put in new media/pads after the move (which I hope will be in less than a week).

I do have a question. Is there something special I need to do to cross into another country with Link? Like US to Canada?

Steve, if you have advice on the boiled chicken and how you serve it I would be grateful as I would like to provide some protein like that until I move and get someone to help with feeding live stuff (yuck).
Rylanda

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm   Re: Overall help

YES , must fill out an application for permit to import ! 30 day before move. Especially turtles and tortoises ! Canada normally does it only for zoo's and Labs hope you have no problems . Here's a link for that permit :

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 6658911065

Any animal even dogs have requirements and advance notice is needed for inspection. Better get the paper work started and follow the guidelines.

That live stuff... get some feeders ( rosy red minnows , guppies ) from you LPS just put say 10 in tank and let Link catch as he needs one. You will never have to watch. Just the numbers will go down so you know he getting them.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 am   Re: Overall help

Since I got the gravel out and stuff, allowing for more water in the tank - I'm watching Link who seems stressed, trying to swim in place etc. Now when Link was dumped at my door I have no idea how long she lived in that 2 inches of filthy water and now that there is much more CLEAN water I'm wondering if Link has to "learn" to swim all over again? Will Link drown? There is still her basking spot to get out of the water but Link seems to insist on this "practice" swimming (it's quite cute but I'm concerned, new Mom and all that).

I know one day this will be easier but at the moment everything Link does gets me worried. I've never been a Mom to a turtle or any reptile, just dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. I don't know if Link is happy or sad, thanking me or saying "what did you do you took my gravel away" lol

Sorry for being such a pest.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 am   Re: Overall help

Back to moving across to Canada! No were like the US , they inforce laws no police shortage. RES's are not native to Canada , Invasive to them and if you find a way other than legal keep a low profile over there. Yes you can call them turtle police and will confiscate Link and would be facing trouble ! We have members in a lot of country's , Canada too and this has happen!

Canada as a nation has there laws about animals/ reptiles coming into there country , also each province has added laws even on native turtles crossing over! Yes one can have a turtle BUT it better be on there list!

Did you get a chance to read the link I gave you , a must when you want to bring an animal / reptile into Canada :
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 6658911065
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:30 am   Re: Overall help

I'm using something like this (4 outlets on, 4 on a timer):
Something like this might work:

No special advice on the chicken, just cooked well and rinsed if necessary. I make it into small cubes or long pieces so they can rip into it.

Like litefoot said, do be extremely careful about going to Canada with a RES. Make sure you have permission and all documented paperwork. If they do confiscate him, you probably won't get him back.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am   Re: Overall help

Oh my I'm worried now about taking Link with me. I have filled out the form but there are "zero" instructions especially on the "routing" part which I took to be the route I'm taking. I'm just going from point A to point B and he won't be out of my sight for a second. It's a 30 day notice application and I don't have 30 days to let them know I'm coming, I'm leaving a volatile life situation and it's going to be a quick, sneak move to get away if you follow what I'm saying. I don't want to lose Link at all, maybe I will call the border and find out further information as well as this form.

I have no paperwork on Link as it was left at my door. I have the application all filled out for this permit thing. I just can't leave Link behind or I fear something horrible will happen as I said I'm leaving a very volatile situation and am just biding my time until someone comes help me make the move back to my old home. Now I'm really worried.

I'm going to contact my SPCA and see if they are able to help with some type of paperwork as well. I have dual citizenship so it's just me going from a US residence to my Canadian home.
Rylanda

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor