Habitat - Indoor :: Overall help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:08 pm   Re: Overall help

I would even try to talk to a live person in US customs with animals. They may know a short cut with Canada's paper work for your quick move and why. Wouldn't hurt to try? At least maybe a number and name to call the right person on Canada's side.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 pm   Re: Overall help

I'd get names and numbers too. How thorough are the border crossings?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:11 pm   Re: Overall help

I have someone going to the local office in the city I'm going to on Monday - they will speak directly with the agency in charge of bringing all sorts of animals across so hopefully I'll have firm answers AND a permit this week coming :-)

My crossing might be thorough as I'm bringing personal belongings back with me and there is a bit of stuff. I won't leave without Link, I'm her Mom and that's that even though I hadn't planned on it lol

When I get details on the border I'll post them here so we have further information as well. They will be informed that she is not going to be bred or released etc. and that she's going to go from one house to another and that's that no further moves.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:24 pm   Re: Overall help

I have a further question on Link. How do I get her to get used to me touching her and things like that, she is still very skiddish to my touch. She knows my hand when I'm feeding her but won't approach me, instead watches from a "safe" distance. Is there something I can do? I have tried to lure her to me with food but with no luck.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm   Re: Overall help

That's one reason I have stock tanks ! My chair is 6" away from tank and very easy to have my hand in tank . Try this , after feeding there will still be begging. Now I never force any turtle to do something they don't want to , have patience on this. Feeding over I place my fingers in tank , yes at first stay's a distance. Over time will come closer but I do not move toward them , watch her reaction to the fingers. Now if she want's to bit yes get out the way. One day will come close to fingers to investigate. In time she will brush up against you , still don't move , build a trust. Down the road when 6" away start to move your fingers see how she reacts. In time will approach you , touch her shell watch any reaction , then pet it in the water and in time you can pick her up with no stress to her and pet out the water. I've done this with every turtle and works for me. Little hard to do with tank on a stand so I say use a bar stool that helps , it takes time. Some only a few days, some weeks and some even longer. Never force or chase a turtle around tank to try and pet them. If I put my hand in tank palm up Piggley comes over get's in my hand knowing he has to get out tank ( no stress) if I need to do a full maintenance. Turtles can be smart , Piggley is. If only little daily maintenance I keep him in and he try's to help turtle style.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 pm   Re: Overall help

So just keep my fingers in the water and let her come up to them. Just let my hand rest so she can get my scent. I noticed this weekend while my son was here, she was "ok" with me feeding her but when he got near to her she "jumped" and hid in her shell but with me she's more curious about me. it's getting used to my hand my scent etc.? I won't force her but I see all your video's and how approachable your turtle are and just don't want her to be scared of me...I am the only one who feeds her and give her red lettuce today (first time she don't seem to like it)... I just don't want her to be fearful of me anymore..
Rylanda

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:45 am   Re: Overall help

Once she associates you more with food, then it'll be a bit easier to handle. But they're all different and I think most will try to bite if given the opportunity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 am   Re: Overall help

As Steve said most all turtles associate you with food. What I do as above by repetition and your patience teaches your fingers are not food. When Link's comfortable with you things will get easier. It will not happen over night as you may want but it will happen when Link wants it to. Hope I made myself clear on above post , remember you are a giant to Link and slow down you move's around him and take you time , gently , and he will come around. More patience ! Always worked for me.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am   Re: Overall help

Thank you all so very much for all the help and advice and tips and tricks!

Just to update, I believe I will be allowed to take Link with me cross-border, I have made phone calls and gotten calls back and the agency is going to see what they can do to expedite what is required so I don't have to wait 30 days. I hope to have the call today and then they will email me the required forms to get this done! They did have to do a check to make sure that Red Eared Slider is not on the endangered list and they aren't (I knew that already).

If I am required to wait 30 days I suppose I will because I don't want to leave Link behind with anyone else, she's "my" little girl now and I'm not one to abandon my "kids." I will post and update further later today when I get a final answer from the agency.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am   Re: Overall help

Hopefully you'll get some concrete answers soon! Which province are you headed to?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 pm   Re: Overall help

I'm heading back to Ontario I own a home there also.

I have been in contact directly with the Hamilton, Ontario office spoke with Dr. Baha who investigated for me and told me simply fill out the permit form, pay the $35 and either fax in or submit online OR mail in. I mentioned the 30 day wait and Dr. Baha stated that's incorrect just ensure that the turtle has been in MY care for 45 to 60 days and hasn't been "outside" and once permit in hand it's valid for 3 months. Since Link is not listed on the endangered list it's not as strict to bring her in AND that I'm not using her to breed AND that she will be in my continuous care there should be no problem.

Dr. Baha stated that it might take 2 to 3 days to get the permit but could be quicker if the main office isn't too busy issuing permits - that's why they state on the form 30 days (just in case there are a lot of people importing reptiles).

I do have to say I think Link is much happier living with me that who she was with before me - since what she was kept in was sub-standard, there was only about 2 inches of water if that much and it was filthy AND had no warming lights for her and she barely moved (I'm guessing because she was freezing) - and she was kept like this for a long, long time. When she first came into my care I knew nothing at all about turtles (I had one when I was like 4 years old kept in a plastic thing with a fake palm tree, can't recall what happened to it) - now thanks to this site I have great information and amazing mentors.

Link is not in her 40 gallon tank yet, I hesitate to set it all up when I'm moving in less than 2 weeks but she is in a 20 gallon tank, with a filter (not the best but the better one is coming), she has a basking spot and a nice warm lamp and she has become my little clown. She is re-learning how to swim, she watches my every move (tank near where I sit on the couch), she basks for hours and looks like a little diva while doing it. Soon she'll have a new home and the 40 gallon will be set up (while I save for the 120 gallon) and will have a proper filter. She'll have 4 furry friends (won't be able to reach her) and I'm told a beautiful stand for the tank to rest on.

I do have yet another question (sorry for all the questions). In the summer when it's warm out, is Link able to walk around the grass in the yard (without dogs of course) or since she is aquatic would it be best not to? Can I set up an outside tank that is in part sun and part shade for her so when I'm out in the garden or whatever she can be outside for a few hours? Or is it best to just keep her in her main tank inside period.??
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm   Re: Overall help

Great to hear all going well now !
Outside is good IF grass has NO pesticides on it , poison , weed killer...
If you use one of the other tank you have they get very hot in the sun , like a spa ! Check often and make sure has some shade on it.
Some people use a kid plastic pool , half in the shade to.
If you let her loose on ground make sure it's safe ! Turtles look slow BUT they are very fast ! Watch for predators , even large birds.
Keep in touch !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:54 am   Re: Overall help

It's extremely beneficial for her to get out. I use a wooden fence for them, some have used those dog fences/exercise pens/etc and that seems to work pretty nice. Do keep an eye on temperatures and shade is important like litefoot mentioned.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 pm   Re: Overall help

Permit is HERE! I can travel anytime for the next 3 months with Link. There is a list of "conditions" however I already have most of them covered and most deal with what to transport them in, a humane travel environment and so on. If you'd like me to post the conditions for anyone in need I will be happy to post them. It was a very easy process and our travel date is Wednesday May 3rd (have to get my dog his shots first). So Link will be in a new home (with me) and in a much larger tank with better filter system and then I get to go shopping for Link!!

Let me know about posting the conditions.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:27 pm   Re: Overall help

That'll be great! Glad the process wasn't too bad, you and Link must be pretty excited!
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor